1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Straight Blades Suck!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MIAWPUKEK, Aug 1, 2006.

MIAWPUKEK Senior Member

Who else is tired of hearing about how much better V-blades are and how much straight blades suck!? It's bad enough when you hear it from people with the V-blades, but it's even worst when you hear it from people who don't have a clue about snow clearing.:rolleyes:

If you ask me, V-blades are good, and yes, they may get the job done a little faster, BUT if you know what you're doing, you can do just as good a job, if not better, with a straight blade! It's all in how you angle it!payup

I've plowed driveways, parkinglots, and between vehicles with my straight blade and haven't had any problems.

In my opinion, some people are becoming way too dependant on the V-blades now-a-days, that if they were to use a straight blade now, they probably wouldn't have a clue what to do! :help:

Here's to all the guys & gals out there still using the straight blades!:drinkup:
  2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

V-plow envy!!!xysport
  3. Ron's Lawncare

Ron's Lawncare Junior Member

straight blades do have their place i have one on my dump truck. but the v plow can do anything a straight blade can do plus v and scoop. i really didn't think v blades were worth the extra money untill i tried a v blade. i won't buy another straight blade for a pick up again.

4. glenspot

glenspot Senior Member

Both my trucks have 8' straight blades, but I also plow out lot at work with a western MVP.

For what I do with my straight blades, I couldn't justify paying the extra money for a V blade. However, I wouldn't want to plow this lot with a straight blade.. The V blade makes the final windrow cleanup a LOT faster.

Yeah, it CAN BE DONE with my straight blade, but I would much rather do it with the V blade.

But again, for what I PLOW -- ON MY OWN...i prefer a straight blade.

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

thats what plow wings are for

6. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

i've never heard too many people complain about straight blades or v blades. i'd say it's personal prefrence. i do prefer having wings on all our plows. everyone here has straight baldes. a lot of people do things by the hour so in that case the straight blade could be a okay choice.
  7. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

For 16 yrs.i used a 8ft fisher hydo on a 87 chevy manual trans. I used to think it was great. When I went on my own i went to f250 auto with a v plow I would never go back.
  8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Staight blades move a lot of snow and cann't be scorned but in their environment v blades kick serious time saving butt. in others they're an heavy waste of money.

A lone ranger is well advised to by a v blade, he will be limited to a single style and a v can replace a straight though the inverse isn't the case.

A fleet/muitli plow operation only needs one or two for doing cleanup and specialty applications.

No straight blade can move snow from place to place quicker then a scooped v blade even with wings.

Drive thoroughs are prime v territory as are enterances, cul-d-sacs, store fronts and loading docks.

It's not the v it's the scoop that I love.

V blade on a skid steer, that's moving snow.
  9. AintNoFun

AintNoFun Senior Member

a buddy of mine ran a very large snowplow/truck shop for years and had nothing to good to say ever about working on the v plows. ive always carried his philosophy when your own plowing in a blizzard at 3 a.m. who wants all those extra lines, solenoids, switches etc on a v plow when it breaks.
  10. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

all in all it's what your used to. we get along great with straight blades with wings and a skid loader bucket. i know v's move snow really effeciently, no doubt about that, but so does a meyer 9' with wings and our meyer 10' both weigh in at 1200 lbs. each. we have several 4-7 acre lots, we put two skidloaders with straight blades (9' each) run them side by side, now thats moving some snow!!!! i wouldn't go to say that "straight blades suck"
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2006
  11. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Now that is a MYTH.

strait blade-------------------------------V-plow

1. 2 rams for side to side -------------------1. 2 rams, side to side ,scoop, V
    2. trip hinge------------------------------- 2. trip hinge
    3. pivot hinge ------------------------------3. pivot hinge
    4. lift ram ----------------------------------4. lift ram

Same number of hoses. The plows are just configured differently thats all

They all break down at 3am. Thats when you use it the most. No wonder they all break down at 3am, lol
  12. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

I have yet to see any type of V-blade that can clean down to pavement as well as my straight does. Also the people I see using V-blades seem to break down more often than I do as well. Not sure if it is their use of them or how they plow or what but the break downs on V-blades seem to come more often.

I will admit that they clean up faster by a long shot but if you are being paid by the hour who cares except the guy paying you.

Plus the cost of the edges are way to expensive for V-blades. And I know a couple of guys that have had the hand held controls replaced 3 or 4 times and I am still on my first one that came with the plow.

6 of one half a dozen of the other I guess.

Sometimes I will say when I am cleaning up in between parked cars though that I would love to have that V.
  13. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I actually had a customer come out and tell me one time that my V-Plow sucks and I should buy a straight blade--insists that it would pick up less gravel.... (FYI this is the same guy that did his driveway in oversized pea gravel...:rolleyes: )

I hope he doesn't contact me this year.... what a PITA, and in four years has never come thru with the extra properties he promised...
  14. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Sounds like he is just looking for a reason to complain. Maybe ask him if he rather you raise the blade 2inches above the gravel and leave the ice pack there for him.
  15. scotty2222

scotty2222 Member
    from MI

This is why you get a Blizzard 810 best of both worlds. I can plow 8 Ft wide or 10 Ft wide or I can scoop:waving:
  16. glenspot

glenspot Senior Member

Just my opinion, but I plowed with a blizard (not the one you;re talking about) for a day, and it was a very tough plow to get used to.

I couldn't stack as high as I can with a western or boss, and the controll was a big box with rocker switches that worked very cumbersom. I like the way blizzards look, and all that. But based on my experience with it, I wasn't a fan.