1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Straight blade w/wings to vxt/dxt, worth it?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by plowzilla, Jan 9, 2015.

1. plowzilla

plowzilla Senior Member

Hey gang, I am looking for responses from other members who made the switch. I have an 8' straight blade withe the Boss wings on it. I have been using this set up for years now, mostly to get snow out of storage facilities. Has anyone gone from this set up to a newer vxt/dxt? Is there much difference in the amount of snow moved per pass? Thanks in advance.

2. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

I went from a straight blade with wings to a DXT with wings last season. I can easily move/relocate close to 2x the amount of snow with the DXT with wings.

3. Fjtort2

Fjtort2 Member

Yes, came from similar plow.. Went DXT this year.. Blows my mind!

4. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

Yep. That is all. I'll never have a plow without wings again, either. Even a V plow. I tried mine without Tuesday night for about 20 minutes. It sucked. My straight with wings was the same size as my DXT and wings is now.

I'll never go back on a truck with just a front plow. Truck with an Ebling or other large back blade, it would be a consideration.

After having to break into one of my lots this morning with a combination of drifting and city snow banks 3 feet high, I'd probably never go back to a straight blade at all. I had 4 entrances to do, and I tried each of them like the blade were a straight blade before I used v, and all it did was shove the truck around. With 3000 pounds of salt in the v box and a 1000 pound Ebling on the back.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
  5. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

My brother had a 8.5 boss superduty with wings. It worked great but my dxt with wings moves a ton more snow. It also works a lot better for cleanup. I will never go back to a straight blade.

6. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

When I got my DXT last season the wings were about two weeks out and I plowed a couple storms without them, yes the V was a big improvement over a straight blade but with wings on a V it's a huge improvement and well worth the $600.00.

7. Rick547

Rick547 Senior Member
    from Indiana

First year with a Boss VXT. I will say that it beats a straight blade plow hands down. I will never go back.

8. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Spend $600.00 for a set a wings and you'll be sporting a major woody.

9. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

I went from a Fisher 7.5 with wings to an 8.5 vee with wings and the difference is amazing. I know you're asking about Boss but the basics are the same. The vee blades are so much more productive than the straight plows it's ridiculous. I shaved close to 30 min off my route just due to increased carrying ability. The DXT is a pretty sweet plow too. If we didn't run Fisher we would go Boss without any question.

10. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

I have two BOSS V plows with wings. The wings do not just make them wider, they are at a different angle and make them hold more snow in, so you can push big huge piles around. If I had to use a straight blade on all the crooked silly driveways I do with only a few places to put it, I would have to let 1/2 of them go.

11. plowzilla

plowzilla Senior Member

Thanks for the input. I like to occasionally drive with the wings on my straight blade when lots are close together. Have you ever driven with the wings on and if so, what position is the plow? thanks

12. maxwellp

I only take the wings off if I need to bust into very deep snow. Drive with them on in the V back position.

13. rob_cook2001

I drive my 9.2 with wings as long as there isn't much traffic. Just a little forward from full V.

14. robber27

robber27 Member
    from NE Iowa

I have been thinking about buying wings for my 9.2 Dxt I'm very happy with the amount of snow that it moves compared to my old strait blade. 600 seems like a lot of money for a set especially since I'm paid hourly. It does seem like the people that have them are very happy with them. Question for the guys with wings, is 20% more carrying capacity close to what they add?

15. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

If you get paid by the hour find out if they're going to pay you more for adding wings. If not, skip them.

16. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Hard to actually put a number on much more capacity, but efficiency is up 25-30% using plow time for a means of measurement.

17. rob_cook2001

I wouldn't be surprised if it can carry 30+% more.. it carrys almost as Mich as my 10ft boss push box!!

18. plowzilla

plowzilla Senior Member

Any trouble pushing that much snow at once?

19. maxwellp

If it is wet snow I have gotten more snow in front than the truck has traction.

20. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

The only time mine come off on my 8'2" is when it's put away for long term storage. I pushed 6 inches of wet heavy half frozen slop Monday night in 4LO and didn't take them off. The only time I've had traction issues is if there's ice on the lot under the snow like Monday night. The only time the truck lost traction was trying to half ass stack that sloppy stuff.

I would agree. I'm able to do a 5.8 acre lot with just the front blade, and it's not an easy lot for about 2 acres of it, in under 2.5 hours. That's with 2-4 inches of snow depending on the drifts. I'd hate to go back to anything. I tried plowing for about 15 minutes without the wings on it and about lost my mind.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2015