1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Straight blade vs wideout plow

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by snowish10, Nov 15, 2012.

1. snowish10

snowish10 PlowSite.com Addict

Tell me what you think about the straight blade vs the wideout. I currently have a 8ft pro plus. What do you think is better, wideout or pro plus. I currently work on a hourly bases plowing snow.
  2. trustyrusty

trustyrusty Senior Member

If I was only hourly I would go to a 6.5' straight plow.

If you have a history with your clientele go back to them and tell them, "Look, for the last 3 years we have averaged $XX.00 per (push, event, season)." I will do your plowing for a flat fee of $XX.00 (a similar number). For per push, set your parameters, for example this price is good up to 6" of snow. People really want to know up front what they should plan to pay for your services. My guess is if you offered per push pricing almost every customer would bite.

Once you do that buy the Wide-Out. If you are on the fence and the right plow makes more of a difference than the right price, I wouldn't even consider a straight plow. If you get your customers on a per push so that you make the same no matter how fast you are, then you could pick up probably 30% more accounts over what you are currently servicing. The difference in price between the Wide-Out and the Pro-Plow will quickly be recouped in more contracts.

Of course, you could always try to explain to your customers that you have this new fancy plow and now you are so much faster that you have to charge 30% more per hour, but I think trying to convince them of that will be next to impossible.

My money's on the Wide-Out. Actually, my money's on the Fisher XLS, but to each his own.
  3. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

I agree with the above... It all depends on how you are getting paid. If you are by the hour you will pay more for the wide-out but get paid less because you are faster. Consider the type of plowing you do too. The wide-out is awsome for big parking lots but sucks for little sites. I find that they are more problematic and a bit more delicate. They need more TLC to keep them running. I would avoid wide-outs if you have careless, low paid, aggresive operators. The wide-outs get their wings ripped off, the rubber wing cutting edges wear out and there are a whole bunch more valves to fail than the three valves in a straight blade. Personally I love my wide-out but I am the only one who runs it. I see multi-user, unloved wide-outs regularly and it's often not pretty. Pro plows are tuff, take a beating and don't need half the love or repairs.