1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

straight blade vs vplow question

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by snowplower1, Oct 3, 2015.

1. snowplower1

snowplower1 Senior Member

I have 2 questions:
    I am looking into 2 different plows both boss. I was quoted the Boss 8' Poly straight plow at 5050 and a 8'2" DXT poly v for 6625.
    I have the 9'2" DXT but is too big for any route but mine so i understand the efficiency of the v plow and love my plow.
    1. is it really worth the almost 1600 for the 2" and having a v?
    2. I have been awarded a few grocery stores this year and obviously there are driving lanes so my question is, will having a straight blade be super difficult to clear the lanes without putting the snow under all the cars when it is open? I have never done a lot that i cant just angle it to a curb so hopefully someone here has the experience with doing this with a straight and a v
  2. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

It's alot if money, but you hit the nail on the head in terms of the V being much more efficient.

Unless you charge by the hour, I'd say spend the extra money for the V; you'll be much happier in the end, and it should pay for itself fairly quickly.

SHAWZER PlowSite.com Addict

Cant turn a straight blade into a vblade , but you can turn a v into a straight blade . I would go v for sure ....Thumbs Up
  4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Go with the v.
  5. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

The V will pay for itself in the long run. One thing to consider, if you do any drive thrus, the 8' straight blade may only make it thru if its angled, throwing snow where you dont want it. Most likely you will fit with the V plow in scoop position.
  6. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

Is this for a truck you've already got or a new one just for these accounts?

My solution unless a truck I already had was booked or overbooked would be an Ebling back blade. Turns driving lanes from 3 passes to 1. Even if you're booked on a truck to close to full capacity, the back blade will save you enough time that it's not hard to add 30-50% to an already full route that just has a v plow.

However, if you're stuck on getting a new blade, I would defiantly go for the v. But I'd do 2 things different. First, no poly. It's a pointless waste. And second, Boss wings for said v plow. We've got an 8'2" DXT with Boss wings that does a handful of bank and McDonald's double drive thru's with no issues.
  7. snowplower1

John deer green, you make some good points about the bling blade. I may have to look into that but i have not bought the truck quite yet. I sold a truck and just need to replace it, looking at a 2015 250 or 350.

I personally would run all 9'2" DXT plows but i have a lot of banks i do that have narrow drive thrus and some fast food drive thrus. my 9'2 bearly get thru the stuff i do but there are some places i cant get in very well.

why no poly? I love my poly dxt and i have an almost 10 year old poly plow that looks amazing still. I dont like buying the steel blades cause they always rust way worst and i dont like stainless cause they dent easy.
  8. MSsnowplowing

MSsnowplowing Senior Member

Swing the extra money and get a V.
    I plowed with a straight for 7 years and switched two years ago.

I will never go back to a straight and if I didn't have a sander on the back of my truck I would go for a ebling.
  9. snowplower1

I didnt even consider the spreader, I definitely cannot get an ebling because this new truck will have a spreader. I agree, i could never go back to a straight blade especially after my plow. I definitely will be getting the v. Appreciate the advice.

My dad who owns the company was all like i cant wait to take your new truck and plow out, well one afternoon he took it to do a cleanup and came back so ticked off cause he hated how many buttons there are for the v. i just laughed because he has been plowing for 30 years and has always had a straight blade and i know how much he hates change. But in his defense he probably was pushing every button separate cause i never got around to showing him how it worked.
  10. John_DeereGreen

Poly to me is an extra expense that's not needed. The framing is still mild steel. Which rusts eventually if they're not cared for. We wash everything after each storm and it's always stored inside though.

Buy a twin lift Ebling and you can run it with a spreader. The lower visibility kinda sucks, but it's far worth the extra production.

And buttons for the v? There's 2 more. If that perplexes someone, they shouldn't be plowing snow.
  11. snowplower1

Well considering he's run a straight blade for 30 years and is old and really hates anything new it's understandable. It is harder to understand if you're not adaptable fast
  12. secret_weapon

secret_weapon Senior Member

Straight blade vs V blade?
    Straight blade cutting edge $120
    V blade cutting edges $450
    Return Springs seem to break once a year too.

I was replacing edges almost twice a year when I had the V. I still plan on replacing the cutting edge on my straight blade every year, just wont hurt so much.

I guess it depends what kind of plowing you will do.
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
  13. snowplower1

You make such a good point, those edges kill me how much they are. I think if I didn't have some of the places I have this year I'd stick to straight blades just based off that cause its just so much money
  14. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

If the price of the cutting edges make much difference you are not charging near enough!
  15. John_DeereGreen

Don't apply common sense to something that doesn't need it. Why would you suggest such a thing??

16. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

If I was you I would shop around 6650 for a 8.2 V that's over price I bought different brand I paid 5445 for a 9.6 + the wing kits Western MVP

And cutting edges add wear bars the edge will last longer
  17. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Make your own cutting edge, its a lot cheaper. All we buy from the dealer is the centers for our v plows since