1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Straight Blade vs. V-Plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Cmduncan, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Cmduncan

Cmduncan Junior Member

I am new to this site, but not new to the industry. I have spent a few trips to the sight investigating if there is any discussion on straight blades vs v-blades. I am curious if there is any such discussion on the site or if we can create a discussion. I recognize the v-plow would be advantageous in the scenario of an apartment complex where you might wind row (away from the cars on either side) to the middle and use the scoop feature to more quickly clean up. I also recognize that any plow may be better than the old style 7.5 foot plow I am current using. I am wondering if the performance of a new v-plow compared to a new straight blade of equal or near equal length is that more efficient??? I also worry about the additional moving parts - meaning more chances for breakdowns???

Thanks for the input.

Christian Duncan
    Indianapolis, IN

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Since I only run Boss v plows ,I don't see why we need to discuss this any more!

3. Eronningen

Eronningen Senior Member

Double entry after an attempt to edit

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  4. Eronningen

Eronningen Senior Member

Many will tell you to you the search function on this site. I'll tell you this, years ago all I had was straight blades and I thought V's were not worth it and made all kinds of excuses why I wouldn't have one. 14 years later I have 5 Boss V's and cringe at the thought of all the wasted time and money I lost farting around with straight blades and pro wings. No problems (knock on wood) with V blades reliability in my case. You still only have two side to side rams and a lifting pump, just have a hinge in the middle is all

5. ratherbfishin

ratherbfishin Senior Member

Got my first v this year;Fisher X blade.I can't give you a honest opinion,cause there's no freakin snow! All I can say is all the peeps I spoke with said once you plow with a V you will never go back.

6. born2farm

born2farm 2000 Club Member

I say go with a V. Here is a way I look at it. For what little bit of price difference there is between a good quality straight blade and a good quality V plow what is there to loose? A V Plow is a straight blade with two more functions, V and Scoop. It will do everything a straight blade will do, but speed you up with busting drifts or containing snow. In the end its your decision, I run a mix of both. I like my old straight blade, but I will not buy a new straight blade. Nothing but new V's or expandable blades from here on out.

7. Plowman52

Plowman52 Senior Member
    from Flint

The v plow is more effective. But if you have a crappy guy using it its worthless (both straight and v)

8. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Power Plow....Blizzard , Wideout , XLS....Puts any "V" to shame......:laughing:

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  9. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Or you can skip the v and join the ranks of the real producers-fisher xls,
    western wideout, blizzard pp or that snowdog model.

10. CTerrySGD

CTerrySGD Member

V plow all the way! I'm using a 9.5' V Plow which in my mind is just as effective as an XLS or wideout at 9.5'. If you know how to use a V it may even be better than an XLS or wideout. Depends on where you live too.... V has been invaluable the past couple of winters in eastern PA.

11. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

Agreed, the best thing about a V plow for me is being able to break through snow banks with ease, but other than that an expandable plow moves a lot more snow than a V plow. If you put a set a wings on the V it really helps but it's still no expandable.

12. jklawn&Plow

jklawn&Plow Senior Member

IMHO I don't have an HO because there's no snow here either. I did get to test drive mine on a 1-1.5" snow and it definitley worked better in that it was 8" wider only did 2 passes where I used to do 3. So that saved time. I think during heavy snowfalls I can push snow up over to side on driveways better and backdrag remnants and I am hoping cleaning up the apron will go quicker. I am also hoping that the VXT will throw the snow over the "walls" I create as the season acumulations pile up.

13. Eronningen

Eronningen Senior Member

I understand your thoughts and partially agree, those are great plows too. The only thing I've realized is the actual V position comes in really handy a couple times a year. It can eliminate the pounding I used to put trucks and plows for trying to bust into some serious snow banks getting into lots during major storms.

14. Pinzgauer

Pinzgauer Senior Member
    from Vermont

Guess it depends a lot on what you plow. Im sure for a nice square and flat parking lot with no obstructions a straight blade is fine.
    Some of the driveways I do I couldn't even attempt with a straight plow after a good storm.
    Only way to get going in a reasonable way is to clear a path in V and even then I have to go back for more momentum to bust through. That's in 4WD and chains.
    Can't imagine how I'd do it with a straight blade.

15. ratherbfishin

You guys in Vermont get real snow though!

16. RepoMan1968

RepoMan1968 Senior Member

Like night and day

images.jpg

Attached Files:

17. My bowtie

My bowtie Senior Member

I will say that this is my first yr withn a V plow. The "V" MAY come in handy when and if we get a heavy wet snow fall to open up the drives, but the most beneficial use is the scope mode. So much faster then a straight plow when cleaning up.

18. bpminc74

bpminc74 Member

Up here we always get alot of wet heavy snow and the the V blade is so much more practical. Trying to plow up steep winding drives through 8"-10" of wet stuff with a straight blade is brutal. With the blade angled it shoves the front of the truck over getting you sideways and somtimes stuck. With a v the truck stays straight and opening up roads is a breeze.

19. ratherbfishin

Couldn't agree more! We just need that elusive white stuff so I can prove that fact!

20. 03sd

03sd Member

I picked my mvp 3 yrs ago never going back to a straight blade