1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Straight Blade vs. V-Blade

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Banshee, Jan 5, 2008.

1. Banshee

Banshee Junior Member

I currently run an 8' Boss super duty straight blade on a 3/4 ton truck. I'm considering going into a V-blade. I know a lot of you run the V-blades and like them. If any of you went from a straight blade to a V, could you comment on the differences you experienced the first time out? Any info would be great. Thanks in advance.

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

We started to see big savings in time right away.
    Clean up was much quicker and easer.
    Moving snow to stacking areas was much easer.

A more efficient plow.

3. rjfetz1

rjfetz1 Senior Member
    from CT.

I went from a fisher 8' straight to a Blizzard with wings. When this plows wings are extended it is 11' wide and the wings curl inward when you want them to. Its an awesome plow that saves about 1/3 the time. Fisher and Western both make them now.

4. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

I used to have 2 straight blades, now I have 3 trucks with V's.

Even my 73 year old dad that plows says there's no way he'd plow with a straight blade anymore.

I wouldn't even THINK about a straight blade anymore.

Now, with that said.

If you're just doing residentials, I wouldn't worry about a V.

If you're doing commercial, you absolutely need a V. It comes down to when you need to move snow from one end of the lot, especially if you're doing it when there's cars in the lot.

You can scoop it so much better, you don't have to wing it all to the middle, go straight, wing it all back to the middle, go straight..... it'll save 1/3 of your time right there.

As for the Blizzard / Western, you have to figure what lots you have. I have 3 banks that I can only get an 8.2 Boss in scoop postition through the drive ups. Anything else and I can't get through there.

5. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I personally like straight blades over V's but thats just my preference.

6. dforbes

dforbes Senior Member

I ran a 8' Hiniker staight blade for 13 years and upgraded to a 9 1/2' V this year. I wonder how I ever got anything done. I cant see ever going back to a straight blade. One of the best decisions that I have made. I should also say I do only comercial with very little backdragging required.

7. Runner

Runner Senior Member

Once you goto a V, you never go back. there is just no comparison. While a V is harder (by quite a bit) on a truck, the time saved is priceless.

8. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

Tired of your V plow feeling like a Wee plow??, Then earn your wings!!:D

9. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

Vee will cut time and frustration! I'd never go back to a straight blade unless all I did was driveways. ( btw the vee does drive ways too )

10. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Question on driveways: will the V plow with one side straight and other angled in minimize lawn tear that we so frequently get with a straight blade that's angled. I'm talking a V blade angled like this: __/

11. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

Just adding a set of 200 dollar pro wings has cut my time on all my commercials in half.

Enough said.

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

We call that a "dog leg" here...and yes it works very well on residentuals...

Thats the beauty of the V's, very versatile.. Like most guys, I started out with a straight blade originally and my route is 80% residential and I'd never use a straight blade again. Unless I was working by the hour..;)

13. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

I was helping out on a large account for a great guy I am subbing for. Well my 2nd man in my truck had nothing to do there so the big dogg let him drive on of his plow trucks: a 3500 GMC Single cab with a boss 8.2 v and a snow-ex hopper spreader. Needless to say I was way jealous. His first time ever plowing, was @ a huge mall with all the goodies. I don't know if he was just a fast learner, or If it was the V blade? But he did pretty good I would say.
    One of these days I let him plow with my truck...Let him realize the difference in a Ok to a Great plow. This Summer I WILL be purchasing a healthy 3/4 and a V-blade...I'm leaning towards the Western MVP.

Ford F150 4x4 w/Timbrens, Cooper M+S
    Meyer ST 7.5 w/Pro Wings
    the worst 2 stage of all.

14. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

How is a V plow harder on your truck? The additional weight?

15. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

They're not...as long as it trips when it should..

Plenty of straight blades out there that are heavier than a V....

16. jaystripes

jaystripes Junior Member
    from NH

its harder because you can push considerable more snow and and thus more tranny wear and heat and driveline stress

17. Runner

Runner Senior Member

And with the Boss, when it is in the closed V (scoop) position, if you hit something with it, you know it. A rise in the pavement or concrete can stop the truck DEAD. That is why these plows will deteriorate a newer truck. If it isn't an older style frame that is built more durable, or a series such as an HD, these plows can destroy a truck. Extreme caution is needed when operating these. Now, as far as the Western, with the trip edge, I am STILL wanting to know if it is that big of a difference over not having the trip edge.

18. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Thats the decision of the operator, not a design fault of the equipment...

So if you can move more snow in less passes it adds more wear than a straight blade?

Are you aware that changing direction (shifting from forward to reverse and back) adds more wear to a drive train than a continuous load?

An example:

Say you do a lot that takes 20 passes with a straight blade..plus a few to clean up any spill off.. if you can do the same lot with a V in 15 passes with less cleanup.. you saved 5 direction changes and lifted the plow 5 less times, just on that one lot....reducing wear on the drive train, the plow hydro's and the charging system...plus doing it in less time with. I call that efficiency.

19. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

Ive had a V plow for 4 years now and dont know if there is any more wear and tear than a straight blade. A straight blade with wings will move more snow than a V plow so wouldnt there be more wear and tear with that setup?

20. 04red2500

04red2500 Member
    from MI

I got a 8.5 MVP this year and will never go back.As far as the trip edge goes it works great ive never been stoped dead unless i hit curb. Anyone thinking of buying one should find someone with one and try it you will want one for sure after that:drinkup: