1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

straight blade vs. V-blade

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by kennyrain, Oct 23, 2007.

1. kennyrain

kennyrain Member

What are the advantages of a v-plow vs. a straight plow blade? I have about 25 driveways I plow but I back-drag most of them. Is it worth the investment to purchase a new V-plow?
  2. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

If you are doing alot o' backdragging, I'd stay with a straight blade. V plows don't do the best job at scraping.

Western comes with dual acting cylinders but Boss you have to buy the smartlocks in order to backdrag so that can get pricey too.
  3. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

If your sticken with driveways then go get the sno-way straight blade with Down Pressure. Nothing beats down pressure.

I went this year with the western V with a back drag blade .... I'll know how that goes in a few weeks payup

The scoope of the v ... priceless wesport
  4. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

If you are asking about residential driveways then I would not get a V blade. If you are talking about country drives that are prone to drifting and excessive amounts of snow then there might be some benifit.
  5. Ozone

Ozone Member

My buddy has a Dodge extended cab dually wheel P/U, with a Curtis V-plow on it.

I have a standard F-250 regular cab P/U with a Western 7.5 Uni-mount.

We take care of a big commercial lot, and I must say..his V-plow is excellent for taking large amounts of snow..and moving it. He can move piles better then me..etc. The V-plow is a MUST on commercial IMO.

With me..I can get into the tighter spaces with my truck and my straight blade. I can back drag a lot better then him with my blade over his V-plow. On this commercial lot, there are some tight spaces to get into..so it works out.

As far as regular driveways..I think I might have to give it to the Straight blade..only because of back dragging.

If it wasn't for back dragging..I think I'd give it to the V-plow. I don't know how the V plow is..in tight spaces.
  6. kennyrain

kennyrain Member

thanks for all the input. i think i'll stick with the straight blade.