1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Straight blade vs. V-blade.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by BoulderBronco, Aug 14, 2007.

1. BoulderBronco

BoulderBronco Senior Member

I figure there is a post on here somewhere discussing this but I couldn't find one. I have been plowing with straight blades since I was 15. I am now 29 and will be getting a new plow in a few months. I am trying to decide if a V-blade is worth it. I have never even used one. Only reason I am really thinking about it is because I plow in the foothills and front range of the Rockies and we can get some serious snow sometimes. It's the drifts that are tough. They are like concrete. Last year I got a call to clear a 20" deep drift accross this ladys drive. No problem right. Well 20" of drifted snow is insanely heavy. I could barely budge it with a straight blade. So for instances like that I was thinking of a V-blade. So the question is, is the V-blade worth the extra $$? Would it be able to plow through a solid drift where a straight could not? I am affraid I will spend the extra $1500 and find myself using it straight 95% of the time. I want to hear any opinions or experiences you guys have had. Thanks.

2. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

I use only V plows and love them. V plows are great for breaking through drifts like you said, but I really like them because you can clean up an area so much faster than you can with a straight plow. You have so much more control with the snow with a V plow than with a straight plow. In larger areas I do use mine as a straight plow to windrow but more often than not I have it in the scoop position to move snow around without loosing it out the sides.

Just my .02 BOSSMAN

3. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

If I get a plow before winter I plan to get a V. After watching BNCs video several times and hearing about others who use them I decided it would be nice to have for our open areas. So I am currently in the search for a used boss v. Either a 7'6" or 8'2".

4. Bossman 92

Hey Mark, go with the 8'2" boss. I have an 8'2" and a 9'2" and would not go any smaller than the 8'2".

BOSSMAN

5. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Ya, the 7' 6" is my last resort if I can't find a resonably priced 8'2". The 7'6" straight would clear my tires by about 2".
    I have talked to several people who think I am nuts for putting an 8ft+ V blade on a half ton. Except my half ton has 1 ton tbars and leaf packs :nod:

Edit- whats a resonable price for a 8'2" steel boss v in good to excellent condition?

6. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

boosman92 how do you like your 9.2v and how does it compare to the 8.6 looking at going with a 9.2 pretty soon just not too sure yet

7. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Hey Boulder Bronco,

The Vis a great plow but, even if you bust through that drift you have to careful if you have to back up though the drift again because the wings could get hung up when backing out.What you can do with the V is put in a half scoop and chip away the drift to both sides and open it up.

8. Kevin Kendrick

Kevin Kendrick Senior Member

A Boss V plow will cost you about $600 more than a straight blade. Make sure you get the SmartLock cylinders if you plan on doing any back dragging.

In my opinion, the V plow is the way to go. You should also consider a Poly moldboard vs. the steel. It will cost you an additional $250 in comparison to the steel, but it will never rust and it throws snow much better. Boss has also come out with the XT version for the V plow. Which is a tapered steel V plow. I cant wait until they get here and we get the first one installed. It looks like a BAD MOFO!!

9. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

It's here 5,100.00

boss plow.jpg

10. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

now with the xt can you put the boss wings on that? or do they have special ones that are just for the xt plows?

11. Kevin Kendrick

Kevin Kendrick Senior Member

No can do on the wings, yet. They are working on adaptors for the XT straight blades and our rep told me that they believe that adaptors for the XT V will be next.

12. Bossman 92

Hey ford6.9, I love my 9'2" That was my origional plow, then I bought the 8'2". If you have any accounts with some room they work great. much faster than the 8'2" on larger areas.

13. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

bossman thanks for the reply, i look forward to buying a new v plow this winter, well sooner than later. It should be a big jump up from my 6.9 ford with an 8' straight blade western, and my ram 1500 with a boss 7'6". I guess i am just excited to get behind a boss again! Just now a little bit torn on the old style with wings, or the new xt and no wings.

14. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I went from a Meyer's with wings to a Fisher Extreme V SS and I'll never go back to a straight blade again! The Fisher is so easy to get used to and simple to operate. Its definetly cut my time plowing, before even with wings I was chasing trails of snow, now, one scoop and we're done! Plus this thing stacks snow very high. Infact last year there were a few spots that were plowed in over the weekend and I know a straight blade wouldnt have been able to cut through, I just put it in "V" position and plowed through it like cutting butter with a hot knife.

15. Grisi24

Grisi24 Senior Member

I am using a 9'2" Boss V and swear by it. I have used the Fisher V and just love the Boss so much more. Next month i am buying another one in fact, most likely an 8'6" however...

But remember to included the Smart Lock Cylinders

16. BoulderBronco

Thanks for the input guys. I think I'll go with the 8'6" Xtreme V. I am pretty much set on Fisher but I was wondering Gris, what you like better about the Boss. I have never used a Boss but have seen them up close and done some repairs on them. As with Western and Meyer I never thought they stood up to the strength of the Fisher. I am also struggling to find an F350 Reg. cab that can handle the 8'6" Xtreme V.

17. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Any F350 can run a V. I have 9'6" one on a 95 diesel dump body and it does fine.

18. BoulderBronco

That's what I figured. But if you use Fishers Ematch program it "says" that on some F350's the XV 8'6" will not work.

19. Grisi24

Grisi24 Senior Member

The major thing I love about the boss is the down force and I love the speed of the plow.

With the F350 Reg cab: just because people say any F350 can handle a larger plow... Be careful, Make sure that you check the front axle! Its much better for the truck to have the 5200lbs front end. Some F350's came with the 4800 lbs... and if your running the diesel engine only go with the 5200 lbs front end!!!

Past experience... If you only have a few contracts the 4800 lbs will be fine but not for commercial.

20. BoulderBronco

That is what it sounds like for the Xtreme V. I am trying to find one with the 5200 front. But what is the REAL difference? All the 350's have the same D60 front so other than the springs what would the difference be between the 4800 and 5200? Very worst case is that I swap in some heavy duty springs if I have the 4800. Or am I mistaken thinking that all the D60's were the same. I know from generation to generation they change a little but...
    Just trying to figure it out.
    Thanks