1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

straight blade vs. box blade

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Acorn, Dec 2, 2002.

1. Acorn

Acorn Senior Member

which is better for a larger (3 acre) parking lot ... straight blade or a box

2. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

IMO - box
  3. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

How about a blizzard 810? Its an 8', a 10' or a winged 8', i think that would be the best all around plow, JMO
  4. Acorn

Acorn Senior Member

Can't afford the Blizzard right now but I think I'll turm my straight blade into a box
  5. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

Hard choice.
    A box is good for pushing snow, a straight is good for rolling snow. All depends on the set-up of your lot & what your are installing it on.
    I'd go with a V plow, or even a Blizzard 810 (the new talk of the board), that way you can have the best of both worlds.

With a Box your plow wont trip as easy, unless you get something like the turky wings.
  6. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Are you pushing with a truck or loader? If a truck do not permanatley change the plow to a box pusher. Just add the turkey wings.
  7. Acorn

Acorn Senior Member

I have a 3/4 ton with 7.5' blade for that site. There are some big open spaces to the parking lot and 3 or 4 long laneways about 50' wide by at least 500' long with a requirement that does not allow me to leave a ridge of snow along the sides of the lanes.

I haven't heard the term turkey wings before. I was thinking of making my blade into a box with some 12-16" side walls with brackets all attached with pins for easy removal.
  8. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

Don't put a box on a truck.
  9. ceaman

ceaman Senior Member

If you are looking for turkey wings look to the banner at the top of the page. they are a sponsor of this site. (or look at the sponsors tab at the top)