1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Straight blade to V - Ultramount on Toyota Tundra

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Steve000, Jan 11, 2014.

1. Steve000

Steve000 Junior Member

So I'm trying to switch my truck over from an 8' Ultramount to an MVP V. I currently have a 3 port 3 wire set up in the truck for the straight blade. I have all the wiring and a 4 port 3 wire set up from a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500. My existing light harness plugs into my existing control harness but the new control harness I'm trying to use doesn't have a plug to accept it. Do I need an adapter? I don't care if I end up using either the 3 or 4 port isolation module, whichever works. Thanks!

Btw the truck is a 2010 Toyota Tundra

2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Keep the isolation module and headlight harness that was originally in the truck u r setting up. Take the controller harness from the MVP setup. U might need an adapter, I can't remember and I don't have my books here. My smartphone won't let me into western publications to look that diagram up. Your power cable from battery to grill can stay. The light cable from isolation module to grill is good to but the third grill plug, for plow controles, must b swapped out. I believe this is the other end of the same cable that goes in the cab to the controller. The new controller plug is a big black twist connect canon style plug. Make sure u get all the wired in the correct holes. U will need to disconnect the small wires from your motor relay and reconnect them from the new controller harness.
    This is all assuming u have a regular MVP and not the MVP +.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
  3. CleanCutL&S

CleanCutL&S Senior Member

Let us know how the tundra handles the V , Seems like a lot on the front end.

4. Steve000

Steve000 Junior Member

Mishnick I think you're right, there must be an adapter that I can get. I'll go to the dealer on Monday.

Clean cut the 8' straight blade I have on there now is around 800 lbs. I believe and the V is another 100 lbs. heavier. It will certainly be more for the truck to handle but I think it should be fine. I had to put Timbrens in the front because the truck squatted pretty far down before. The frame would bottom out in places.

5. mishnick

B prepared to replace ball joints regularly and b sure to put some weight in the back. Having that heavy plow in front will make it a more dangerous drive when roads r icy. B safe and stay alive.
    I am going to my shop today. I will look up that adapter.

6. Steve000

Steve000 Junior Member

I appreciate it...

Ya I learned the first time I put my plow on the truck I had to keep a lot of weight in the back or the truck wanted to drift - I just keep a lot of salt in the bed.

7. mishnick

8. Steve000

Steve000 Junior Member

29047 is the adapter I have for my straight blade in my truck now. There's no place to plug it into the control harness for the V plow. I'm running down to the dealer now to figure it out. Thanks

9. mishnick

10. Steve000

Steve000 Junior Member

The dealer couldn't help me, I managed to confuse the parts manager.

He did tell me I have to use the 3 port Isolation module though.

The V plow harness I have doesn't have a place to plug that adapter into it.

:dizzy:

11. mishnick

Hmm, then you must have a different system then I thought. This is a three plug three port system right? Not the two plug MVP plus is it?

12. Steve000

Steve000 Junior Member

It is the 3 port 3 plug MVP but not the plus.

I figured it out through trial and error. So the control harness plugged into port A, the V plow control harness that used to plug into port 2 ended up plugging into that adapter you were mentioning (29047) and port B and C are for the light harness. Thanks for your help.