1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

straight blade setup adding multiplex wiring for xtreme v

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by salt dogg, Nov 19, 2010.

1. salt dogg

salt dogg Senior Member
    from Boston

Tomorrow i am going to attempt the dual wiring setup so i can run an 9.5 extreme v, but still run a straight blade for backup. Going on a 2008 f350 6.4. any pointers or tips would be great. this is the diagram i have. thanks

[​IMG]

2. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

I just switch the harness at the module when I interchange mine Took me about 20 min to install.

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

RepoMan207 has done a dual wiring setup.

4. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

I did this to my truck last year. I installed a 7 pin harness as well as the multiplex harness so I could operate the Straight Blade, EzV, and the XLS and XtremeV.

There is no dust cover to be had for the 2 ends (control harnesses) that connect into the lighting harness (even though it indicates it in the manual.) I was told by some of the dealers, and recently by fisher to go ahead and splice them together. I still switch mine, rather then splicing them. If you can find it, all it is a square, female, 4 port Weather Pak connector. Fill one side with silicone and puff, you have a dust cover.

When using the multiplex wiring, you'll have the traditional grill connector for the straight/EzV control harness exposed and unprotected. I just lived with it last year, and cleaned and greased often. I would recommend buying a plow side connector boot and keeping it in the cab, then when you attach the plow (multiplex) go ahead and utilize it on the unused harness.

You must have dual batteries in that truck, but if not, you may want to get some adapters / extensions to make connecting a bit easier.

I use grill plates for the 2 pin harnesses, but I recommend you mark the multiplex grill connector, this will save you from plugging the wrong connectors into one another when mounting the plow. It won't harm anything (I don't think anyway), but it will save you from getting in and out of the cab needlessly.

5. RepoMan207

from Maine

I must of been typing when you posted.

6. salt dogg

salt dogg Senior Member
    from Boston

hey brad which harness do you switch?

7. salt dogg

salt dogg Senior Member
    from Boston

so it is the head light harness i switch to go between multiplex and non-multiplex. very good idea on the boot thanks . Also yes on the dual batteries so there should be enough wire. and if you can think of anything else let me know.:drinkup:

8. brad96z28

Only difference is the controll harness and bat cable between the 2 systems. I run 2 controll harnesses and 2 power cables and switch them where they plug in at the adaptor. Very simple

9. RepoMan207

from Maine

It is the the connector that plugs INTO the light harness that needs to be switched between. If you don't want to splice them together (which I don't recommend) you'll have to switch between the two systems as needed. I utilized an elastic and plastic bag to keep the unused one protected last year, but after the boys at Fisher heard about the issue, they sent me a blank female connector for it. (THANKS ROGER!)

It is an easy install, and well worth the upgrade. Before we know it, the straight blades will be Multiplex as well, wouldn't that be cool :rolleyes: :laughing:.

[​IMG]

10. salt dogg

salt dogg Senior Member
    from Boston

awesome thanks brad and ryan. do you guys think that this plow is a little heavy for a crew cab? i looked on ematch and it is not listed for my truck. It is listed for a extra cab, not crew cab. I am guessing as long as i dont have a full load of people in cab i should be ok. Usually i am solo when plowing.

11. RepoMan207

from Maine

Heavy motor, but that bad a@@ truck should be able to handle it no sweat. Add alittle extra ballast and you'll be fine. If the front end sags any, add a set of Timbrens.

12. salt dogg

salt dogg Senior Member
    from Boston

thanks. i do put a two yard sander in the back, so hopefully that should do it. Timbrens is probally a good idea. I really wanted to find an xls like yours, but got a good deal on this v so i could not pass it up. If they ever come out with a stainless version i will have to def get one. Going to pick up plow today so hopefully all goes well thanks.

13. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

While installing my xls and exv yesterday my buddy was wondering about getting a V plow for his western and also running his straight. Called the dealer and he said you need two harnesses like mentioned above. Would be an easy setup and well worth I believe. Good luck if you do it.

14. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

The HT Series is,I wouldn't be surprised to see the rest change in the next few years

15. RepoMan207

from Maine

Oh absolutely. I just don't know if it's a good thing or a bad thing.

16. brad96z28

On a gm like mine its a bit heavy. But I dont have any problems and doubt I will On a ford I dont see any problems. Legally it might b to heavy.

17. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It's perfectly fine to splice the harness's together permanently and if you don't want to chop it up simply build yourself a Y adapter with a few weather packs so they can both be connected at the same time. This way you still have good seal ability, you're not adding any splices that may cause issues later and best of all you're not permanently altering either harness.

18. RepoMan207

from Maine

Ohlala! That is an excellent idea Mike! I'm going to do just that.

For those of you that are considering this, I finally located a source for the Square 4 pin Weatherpak connectors (both male and female). For some reason I had a heck of a time trying to find them last year, yet when I searched just now.....viola.

19. salt dogg

salt dogg Senior Member
    from Boston

well got everything installed yesterday, took longer than i thought it would but the engine compartment in the 6.4 is way to crowded.
    [​IMG]
    It was definately worth it though i am very happy with the final result. I think timbrens are next on the list.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. salt dogg

salt dogg Senior Member
    from Boston

man i wish i had this info a day earlier. i actually have a whole set of the weather packs i bought off ebay. i guess this will be the next little project. good thinking mike.