1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Straight Blade or V

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Bob's 24 hour, Feb 3, 2009.

1. Bob's 24 hour

Bob's 24 hour Junior Member

Greetings:

I’m always looking for ways to shorten (time wise) my plow route which leads me to the question, “Is a V plow worth the investment”? Where I see the advantage is when all the snow has been pushed to the end of the driveway (road end), a straight blade takes time to clean up all the snow in the road. I tend to be picky with the driveways I do and not leave a mess on the road and that translates to several forward/back maneuvers. This also is a concern when on a busy road and time spent when you have to keep stopping to let traffic pass.

My Western has been a great plow, busted a pivot pin earlier this year but an easy fix. Had a Meyer Trip Edge before the Western that was old but did the job.

Because the Western is at least 5 years old and I can’t risk a break down in the middle of a storm, I’m thinking about buying a new plow. I have seen in previous post that everyone has a favorite, Fisher, Boss, Western, Meyer, Snow Way, Blizzard, ect. My first question, “Would you recommend a V plow over a straight mold board”? Second question, if so, “Which manufacture would you recommend”?:confused:

It’s at least half way thru the season so I’m hoping to find a deal on a new blade. Your recommendations/suggestions would be a big help.

Thanks in advance
    Bob

2. HEAVY HAUL

HEAVY HAUL Junior Member
    from Canada

8.2 Boss VXT would be my first choice. Make sure to get the smart locks for back dragging purposes since you are doing driveways.

3. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

I've used the 9.2 western mvp, I miss it quite a bit. Very good plows and I didn't believe the time a V saves until I used one.

4. ontario026

ontario026 Senior Member

First I will say that I have never done any real amount of plowing with a conventional straight blade other than my atv, but this fall I put an 8.5' Fisher SS Extreme V on my 2500 Chev, and I love the V, I am 500% glad that I went with the V, and I will never personally buy a straight blade after seeing how versitile the V is.
    Matthew

5. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

I plowed with 7'6" straight blade's my first five years of plowing and this is my first year with a V plow (8'2") and it sure save's time. I can plow 40 drives in about four hours with about 6 to 8 inches on the ground so I would recomend a V.

But if I was to buy a new straight blade I would prefer an 8'6" blade, I had two 7'6" plows that were really to small for what I was plowing.

6. blizzardsnow

blizzardsnow Member

neither, how about wings?

We run Blizzard Plows that have wings. Our Speedwing 860, or Powerplow plows circles around a Boss 8'2" XT. Not that Boss doesn't make a great plow, they do, it just isn't as efficient as a Blizzard plow with wings. In scoop mode the boss plow can't take nearly the swath and when windrowing the Blizzards leading edge cups the snow so you don't have any trails even though you're taking a full blade width.

7. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

All of our trucks have V-Blades on them, all Western, some 8.5, some 9.5. Some are 10 years old with minor problems over the years. Straight blades are useless in my opinion.

8. apik1

apik1 Senior Member

I like the V's over a straight for the scoop mode, thats it. I am working on getting 2Blizzard 810pp because the scoop is bigger than my V's. I have had 3 V's since 2005 and never used them in the V position. But it all depends what u plan on plowing.

9. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Get the V Plow. It's true, you may never use the V, but I scoop all the time!

10. The PuSher MaN

The PuSher MaN Senior Member

fisher extreme v or a boss vee xt would be my choices, I do like a vee blade better for when it is slushy or deep snow but for driveway and smaller areas I like a straight blade might just be my preference because I grew up using a straight blade.

11. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

I'd go with the blizzard style plows. Saves lots of time! That being said if most of your work are drives I'd take a strong look at the new snow way blades, the down pressure would be so helpful for doing driveways.

12. Bob's 24 hour

Thanks all for your responses. “rsvees” has raised an interesting question, What about Snow Way’s down pressure?

I use my Super Plow rear blade all the time to pull snow away from the garage. Pull the snow out about 25 feet, back up and push it out the rest of the way depending on the driveway. The disadvantage of a rear plow is the added length to the vehicle in tight driveways. Again, we are weighing advantages against disadvantages.

I am not familure with the reliability of Snow Way plows but would a Snow Way V plow with down pressure be the best of all worlds? Then again, perhaps being retired and able to enjoy the Superbowl without worrying about if a storm’s on its way is better. :redbounce Wait a minuet……………. I am retired :confused: …………..what the heck am I doing. Simple….. Trying to pay the bills. :cry:

Your thoughts about Snow Way V Plows, no one has mentioned them yet.

Thanks all
    Bob

13. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

sounds like a winner to ME! a very good all around plow that will windrow higher and stack better than a reg V and way better than a straight. that particular size is good to for almost any application and even though I love my 9'2" Boss it gets a little tight on some driveways.

14. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

all the snow you guys can get in buffalo and you've never used the V position to bust through deep snow? Im surprised

15. Mid-Ohio Scaper

Mid-Ohio Scaper Senior Member

Fisher SS Extreme V. Hands down the best V plow made. I've heard about, seen, and experienced Boss V plows and until they get it together and get rid of the full blade trip on their V's they can't hold a candle to Fisher. That's all I have to say about that.

16. Govbradst555

Govbradst555 Member

I got a 9.6 fisher V plow and i love it. There is no question which is better for driveways. straight or V

17. apik1

apik1 Senior Member

If you scoop all the time why not a blizzard? That what it does, and it scoops way more snow. Thats the point I was trying to make

18. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

I personally would like to be able to use one of these sooner than later but doubt I will go out and get one since both my trucks are all plowed up but do you think he would ever be able to take advantage of the winged plows doing just driveways?

19. Bob's 24 hour

Just for clarification……I realize all plowing conditions are different; driveways, parking lots, highways, ect. For my purposes, I need/would like the flexibility of both a straight (for my long driveways) and a scoop to clean up. Looks like a V plow would be best for my use.. If I scooped all the time then I understand the Blizzard with wings. However I have to discharge snow to one side or the other and therefore the need for a straight or V plow.

Don't want to get into an argument here, everyone has their prefferances, just trying to clarify what I’m looking for to plow driveways, I’m not plowing parking lots which would need different equipment.

Again, thanks for your comments.
    Bob

20. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

no offense but your above statement makes no sence

Please tell me why you can not windrow the snow to the side using a blizzard or western wideout? you do know the wings retract? and that having an 8 foot blade that expands to 10 feet could be handy from time to time (like all the time)

keep in mind lots of vee plows seem to leave snow trails down te middle, your Res driveways might not be thrilled about that one.

I dont know how the snow way is for back dragging, but i wasnt all that impressed with the DP that my sub had on his truck. the difference with any , was minimal