1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Straight axle conversions?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by JCurtis, Sep 4, 2003.

1. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

Does anyone know of a shop in the CT/NY/NJ area that does IFS to Straight axle conversions on Chevy/GMC vehicles??

I am looking for someone reliable for a future project (s)

2. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

If you dont mind doing the work yourself there are all kinds of people doing IFS to SFA swaps and there are lotsa kits and such out there......I could give you some good places to start searching. But if you want to have it done I am clueless and it might cost a bit of change

3. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

JCurtis- Are you planning to put an SFA on your brand new truck? That's awesome! Check out Industrial Offroad and Offroad Unlimited for more information and bolt-on conversion kits.

4. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

WELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL Its a POSSIBILITY !!!!!!!!!:nod:

Actually, that may happen down the road, but I am really thinking of building a couple of late model trucks for snow removal, and since I am a GM guy, I need to address the IFS in the newer trucks.

I mean they are ok, but I think a solid axle would be better, especially since I am considering the new Fixher X Blade as my standard plow from now on.

It sits 2-3 inches taller than the normal Fisher, and with the GM front ends squatting down low, I just think the SFA is the way to go.

NOW IF I get back to the old mid 70'- 80's GM trucks there should be no problem since those are a higher front end and sfa.

Anyway, I'm just in the informational stages right now. But I have seen photo spreads on IFS trucks that have been converted...

THEY LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOK GREAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!!!!

Price and availability of a shop I can trust will be the determining factor . Thanks for the help and suggestions.