1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Story of survival (dont give up!)

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jrodgers, Jan 26, 2005.

1. jrodgers

jrodgers Senior Member

This happened to me this past storm about 8 hrs into it, with tons more hours to go. Was plowing a lot and was stacking snow to make room for more. Everything was going great I was on schedule, snow was pushing nice was shaping up to be a nice event. I push a plow full of snow up into a pile and go to put truck in reverse (01 2500hd d/a) and my shifter just goes limp. I thought oh my god this can not be happening, I never had a panick attack but this was as close to it as I can imagine ( i had like tunnel vision) anyway I tried to calm down so I said ok let me look around under the hood and see what I could find. Well my first reaction was to shut the truck off so I didnt have to hold my foot on the brake. Bad idea now I could not start it back up or even shut the key all the way off because it wasnt in "N" or "D". Panick sets in again Oh by the way it was coooooold below zero wind chills. So I call the wife to come pick me up thinking it was all over. I would have to call a tow truck, and how would they tow it with the plow on and it stuck in drive? Well when she got there I warmed up and tried to mess with it again and figured out how to get it in and out of gear. I climbed under and shifted it into park with my hand, it worked. Now the truck was started again. Had her hold her foot on the brake and shifted into R then backed up and put it in P at least now I could get it home. Pulled the truck in my buddys garage at 2am and tried to come up with something. Well what I did was, the cable was a two part cable that split right at about the drivers side, so I cut off the end going to the tranny so that there was just the cable coming out. I then fed the cable up through the floor and into the cab. I then put as pair of vise grips on the end, and was able to shift by pulling and pushing the cable in and out. Well I put it back together and was able to finish all my plowing (2 more days of plowing). Every once in a while the cable would crimp so I would have to strip it back and inch or so and move the vise grips back. I am lucky because I started to run out of cable. Ordered one from Chevy and I am waiting for it now. Moral of the story dont give up!

2. snowinjoe

snowinjoe Senior Member

Thats what sets the men from the boys. Good save. It always amazes me the way you can jimmy rig something and keep going. Best of luck in the future. You've had enough B.S. for 3 seasons maybe 4.

3. jrodgers

jrodgers Senior Member

Thanks................

4. MOW ME OVER

MOW ME OVER Senior Member

Like I always say Where theres a will there is a Way.

Sometimes you just gotta get it done however you can. Great thinking.

5. Gusco

Gusco Senior Member

Not related somewhat, But i once had to shift a Ford van Three speed from Philly to Trenton by jamming my arm down the hole where the shifter shold be to reach the linkage. Ohilly was ruough as was trenton. but i was glad for the miles btween where i dint have to shift. South st. Philly at around rush hour sucks, Let alone you got your arm down in the grease.

6. Ian

Ian Member

Had a friend with an older Dodge /meyer plow setup, but the story is not about the dodge...

He was in Georgia for the holidays and had drove his car. At the start of the return trip to Wisconsin his alternator quit. It was a saturday night with monday being the 1st of the new year. His car was a saab turbo. Could not find a store with the part on hand and had to be at work tuesday. He bought a small honda generator, extension cord, trickle battery charger, eye bolts, tie down strap and a few bungy cords (You know where this is going).

Drilled holes into the trunk of the car lid. Installed eye bolts and tied down the generator. Ran the extension cord into the car, punched a hole in the firewall and continued the cord into the engine compartment. Tied down the battery charger with the bungy cords. Charger feed the battery with power to run the engine and the lights. Stopped every few hours to put gas in the generator. Drove from Georgia to Wisconsin.

Asked him why he didn't call and ask to be off a few more days.

He said he always wanted a small generator.

:blush2:

7. SCBrown

SCBrown Junior Member

Now thats funny. :D

8. drplow

drplow Senior Member

if your truck was like my brothers truck, you could pick from a number of holes in the floor to shift from. :eek: