1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Storm total accumulation reports?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Ramairfreak98ss, Feb 13, 2010.

1. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

A couple companies we deal with pay per site based on total accumulation.

Now of course with our latest blizzards, our crews pushed literally 40" worth during a 20hr+ span, and yet it only snowed 20+.

I saw on one website Cherry Hill NJ got 27.xx" in the Feb 5th 2010 storm.

The company we plow for this large site pays per inch, actually they pay per TENTH of an inch... i know, first we've dealt with that and what a pita when it comes down to invoicing.... down to the pennies :/

They send us "their" text report stating that Cherry Hill NJ received 24.3".

Now when were talking hundreds of dollars difference between 12" and 13" and especially 24-27".... it could be over $1k on the push price for this one storm.

Could some reports be wrong or more reliable than others?

I still need one for Burlington, NJ as well for that storm since i think their number on that was too low as well.

2. hitachiman 200

hitachiman 200 Senior Member

Snow does not fall evenly over any given area, there are far to many variables, wind speed, direction, barometric pressure and moisture content in the air mass plus geography and drifting etc. You can have 6" and a mile away have 12". The only reliable source is an actual recorded measurement at each site before each push by yourself. Your client cannot use a generic measurement taken from the local airstrip or the roof of city hall as anything but a guideline as to the conditiions at there site.

When plowing by the inch you must stipulate that the measurement be at the actual site. A digi camara and a tape do the trick for me although I only plow by the hour it is still a good record to have in case of a disagreement. It shows what time you where there and how much you cleared each time.

:bluebounc:bluebounc:bluebounc:bluebounc

3. AA+ Landscaping

AA+ Landscaping Senior Member

4. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

Well ive heard of them prior so ill sign up with them.

5. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

You have more trials and tribulations then a daytime soap opera...i suggest you just get out of snow removal.....

6. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

ROFLMAO :laughing:

7. AA+ Landscaping

AA+ Landscaping Senior Member

go to the forum Elements of business and look up ( Where do you find snow fall totals??? ) I put a print out from them check it out!!!!

8. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

We use weatherworks too, but back to basics(and you should know this already), your contract should say your totals are supplied from a certified weather service and your billing will always be based on their reports. NOT what ANY individual may or may not have actually measured with his/her yardstick......

Last edited: Feb 14, 2010
  9. hitachiman 200

hitachiman 200 Senior Member

So, just curious as to why so many contracts down south are by the inch when I always hear of so many squables over depth of snow? We all bid by the hour here.

I can roll in to an industrial complex that has 10" of snow when 4 blocks away there's barely an inch.