1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Storm results

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by John DiMartino, Feb 19, 2003.

1. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Well during this last storm it happened.The 2 things I knew would happen one day,just didnt know when,They both happened to the same truck. My 91 GMC K2500. My help is in the truck about 2 hrs when he calls me,the drivers wiper stopped working(it was near white out at this time around noon here).That is the first time that truck has ever had a problem plowing in the 3 1/2 yrs ive owned it.Anyway he made it to the shop 1 mi away took off the cowl,and we seen that the wiper arm fell off the ball .Anyone with a 88-98 CK with lots of plowing hrs on it,may want to buy a ball socket from the dealer and keep it in the glovebox,I bent mine back in shape and we were on our way,it had us down a little over an hr,not a big deal,but when its snowing 2"+ an hr it is.Then not even 2 hrs later he calls back.This time its the other thing I knew would happen.He backed into a parked truck with the GMC:mad: . luckily he didnt hurt anyone ,or the truck he backed into. I knew I had to break down sooner or later,and someone had to back into some thing,I got lucky on both accounts,IMO.
  2. Grazzmazter1

Grazzmazter1 Junior Member
    from .

Could of been alot worse.
  3. Brother1

Brother1 Member

Hey John - Had some problems here too that we just knew were gonna happen sooner or later. We run an '89 Chevy with an old Fisher plow and the truck is pretty beat up. Don't really use it during the landscape season - is really a back up if we need it, but we do use it for full time plowing in the winter. Well windshield wiper broke during the storm and thank god we all carry a roll of duct tape in each truck. You can fix anything with that. Our guy got back on the road after only down for less then an hour, but than the at about 20 hours into the storm he lost reverse and looks like the tranny went. We were just hoping the truck would last us through to the spring since we are planning on a new 2500 HD but looks like we're gonna be looking for something a lot sooner. It's not worth fixing the tranny so we might be picking up something to hold us over until the season ends. Guess things could have been a lot worse. Now hopefully we get some time off before the next storm so we can get another truck on the road.
  4. kawdude

kawdude Senior Member

i hear ya brother....:D I just put a trans in my 88 last week for no reverse:(
  5. timsjeep

timsjeep Senior Member

Today I lost my Alternater during the 9th of 12 sites. I don't know how, but somehow the battery took us down to the last push on the last parking lot. I can't believe it. I mean I pushed the the last little pile and cleaned it up and bam, the truck shut down and would not start. What a lucky day! Tim
  6. snowfighterG

snowfighterG Member

:eek: Ever get stuck pushing back a bank and when you finally rock it out the abs brakes give you that pressure shutter and you cant stop and then wham into a brick wall! Ouch no no tail light and bumper and right in the middle of that storm.
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2003
  7. golfmanres

golfmanres Senior Member

Snow totals... 24" here in reston virginia near dulles airport...
    Over 40 hrs in three days and still going.. Average 100 foot drive way 150.00$
  8. snowfighterG

snowfighterG Member

the piles

Oh Yeh I forgot
    Storm Totals: 17 inches
    Piles: Way too high
    No where to put the snow
    Hope there isn't any two way traffic!
    The roads are two foot smaller now.
    Dreaming of owning a payloader!
  9. Pickering snow removal

Pickering snow removal Senior Member

John D read your post about the wiper linkage falling off the ball stud on the wiper transmisson , if it makes ya feel any better last year in jan i had just picked up my 02 superduty it had 9 miles on it the night we went out on a pretty good snow i too get a call from the driver says hey the drivers side wiper wont move i said what!! anyway same has you i switched trucks ran back to the shop and put the linkage back on the ball. The reason i think it happens on the fords anyway is if we dont clean off the snow good from the trucks the wipers pack the cowel and put pressure on the linkage anyway we arnt having that problem this year no snow
  10. 66Construction

66Construction Senior Member

12.9" here. I have the same truck john, thanks for the ifo I will definitly look into this.
    We had our share of problems to. Broke a new x blabe, then our 3500 dualy sheared the front u joint and took everything else along with it off the front differential. (with nothing in the back that truck is worthless in the snow) Then the sub that filled in for the dually broke down...a nice new f250 I cant imagine why it broke down. Then the tranny in my trusty 90 gmc 2500 which luckily still has working wipers starts going south. Shifts from 1st to third around 30, this will be the second in about a year. Sice I stoped driving the truck annd put someone else in the truck it's been nothing but problems. The driver also took a 6" wide hunk out of the u edge. it's been a busy winter... just too many things put back together with duct tape and super glue or overlooked. Spring is going to be a couple solid weeks of repairs.
  11. DaveO

DaveO PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Ma.

Hey Johnny!,

The Fisher stopped angling at 4am after 16hrs of plowing. Had to get my old Ford and finish up, didn't quite push as well as the ram. Wiper's keep freezin up on both trucks.

Hit a snowpile with the Ford, and the Vbox slid forward and ripped the chute mounts off.....guess I'll block the front next time, live and learn.

Oh yea, got flagged down by a stuck stroke in a bank, at first I though it might be DOCKBOY(greg), but it had Mass tags on it. He first hooked the strap on to the PLASTIC piece on his bumper....SNAP, then he hooked it on something more solid. 4 low yanked him out soooo fast....he keep mumbling something about being pulled out by a dam Dodge....LOL

Oh yea, the connector had a corroded pin on the MM causing it not to angle.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2003
  12. drobson

drobson Senior Member

Had anywhere from 18" to 24" around here. This stuff was great for plowing and even better for the blowers. I'm just glad it was the light fluffy stuff or I'd still be out there. 2 or 3 more of these and I might break even for all the work I put into my trucks this year :(
  13. Dockboy

Dockboy Guest

I had to pull a buddy's Dodge home from a site cause it blew a tranny with only 10K mi. on it! LOL!

How have you been Dave??;) Missed ya!!

Well, 27' and 80 hrs. of plowing, lost a edge marker windrowing 4' of snow(down 15 min. I had a spare). Lost 2 hrs. buying and replacing the cutting edges. UPS was supposed to deliver my new U edge on Fri. Its Wed. and it's still sitting at a distribution center in Balt. :realmad: . Backed into a mailbox opening a drive yesterday, after very little sleep. Busted the right rear tail light lens. When I got home last night, I noticed I had blown an angle ram seal. Got a new seal kit and will fix it tomorrow and Hopefully be able to put the new U edge on!

14. Dockboy

Dockboy Guest

Hey guy's

Some snow I stacked with the Stroke and a V;) :D

15. Dockboy

Dockboy Guest

Same lot;)

16. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Nice work Greg :D .When did you get the loader attachemnt for the PSd?;) .
  17. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

when i plowed for the town i had a 350 dump with a 460 and a 9' continetal plow i could stack snow that high .but with me own truck i try not to push it as i did the town truck :D
  18. Dockboy

Dockboy Guest

Ha Ha!!:p Thanks John! You didn't see the pic of my new bucket attachment! It attaches to the moldboard :cool:

This stuff was so light up until Mon night that it was easy to stack!

Believe it or not, I did this whole lot myself(No loader;) ) in about 2.5 hrs.

Some more angles of the same lot

19. Dockboy

Dockboy Guest

20. BerksLawn

BerksLawn Junior Member

Yea we didnt do so well this storm either and got stuck alot. First problem happened Sunday my mom backed into a gas pump with the 98 but it was only a little dent. Then the plow on the 95 wasnt working so we were down to 2 trucks. The 01 4wheel low didnt work before the storm and didnt have time to get it fixed. Then the 98 got stuck in 4wheel low and the transmisson is now f****d. Yesterday we were out finishing up clearing some more parking spots and the A frame cracks so we go home and switch plows and break one of the hydro lines.So now we scrapped together one truck. Then we get a call from my mom, she drove the 95 to work and it wont go in gear now. Finally get up this morning to clear the drains and around the cars from the drive and the primer fuel line on the snowblower is melted :( sorry about my long list of break downs just had to vent alittle dont even feel like reading over it to make sure it makes sense :mad: