1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ddazzle007, Sep 27, 2004.

1. ddazzle007

ddazzle007 Junior Member

undefined :confused: does any one have any advise about storm chasing ... such as following a storm a few hundred miles or more to try and make money to pay for my new investment VS attempting to start landing contracts for my first year in the business.

I live in the lake ozark area MO. and have only moved here this year .

Ive been told that the winters here can go either way and am considering chasing or following storm out in order to increase revenue . Im a single 42 yr old and the time away wont be a problem

Any comments would be welcomed ....Fully insured 1,000,000

Dennis Pasley
    Snow Busters 454 SS
    Lake ozark Mo. :rolleyes:
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2004
  2. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

No way. Un proffessional. You are not going to be prompt enough for good customers.

All customers who want to pay for service, have already got contractors lined up. They are not going to wait for a big one to find someone. Customers expect to be cleaned up before the start of business and or kept open for business.

You might get some flag downs, but even if you get 10-20. They are going to be driveways that people MIGHT pay $20 (remember they are cheap, they didn't call a contractor a head of time)

You have commerical insurance right? If not you had better not hit anything. You are going to drive with a plow for a few hundred miles. Watch you gas gauge spin.

3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Second to what Howard is saying. Plus, you're talking about driving maybe 100 miles and then driving around for flagdowns. You will lose money, no doubt about it. Check your liability and commercial vehicle insurance; it may only be good for a certain radius from the base of operation (address on file at the insurance).

I drove around my own town the first year for flagdowns. Total waste of time and money.
  4. ddazzle007

ddazzle007 Junior Member

how to get started

Thanks for the reply

i can understand your comments , but due to the unknown nature of the area im in this question is being pondered as an alternative in order to pay for equipment shuld it be slow here.

Im unable to get an ad in the yellow pages but am considering other forms of advertisement including TV (MY SPECIALTY) ads on Cable tv will cost me around $5 a Choice spot ESPN,TNT,USA, ect. due the nature of my full time business. (refer to my other post in "elements... advertising tv...)

Do you have any suggestions reguarding this?

Dennis Pasley
    Snow Busters 454 SS
  5. chris k

chris k Senior Member

I agree with everyone else. There is no guarentees with plowing. Take the gamble if you can afford it. Build yourself a good client base the way everyone else does, one customer at a time.
  6. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Are you serious? You have one truck with a plow, right? You're going after the audience range you'd from this? What would you do when you get two calls; one from 20 miles to the East and the other 20 miles to the West? Narrow your focus with an ad in the local shopper. At the most use target advertising and fliers.
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2004
  7. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

Why not sub yourself out for awhile?, Just a thought...Rob
  8. ZamboniHDB

ZamboniHDB Senior Member

ddazzle007 -

Are you talking about subcontracting a few hundred miles away or you trying to get your own contracts for commercial and/or residential?