1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Storing your Plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by dan6399, Mar 4, 2009.

1. dan6399

dan6399 Member

May seem like a stupid question but I figured Id ask anyway. Where do you store your plows in the summer months and how? Im going to have to store mine outside most likely and dont want it to rust. I like to take care of my stuff even if it takes a little extra time. Should I put a tarp under it and on top? Or just on top? Is there any cheap shelters that I could buy for it? What do you do?

Thanks,
    -Daniel Pepe

2. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

i do tarp the ones that stay outside . i also take grease and brush it on the cylinder rams and hose fittings then bag the fittings w a heavy ziploc bag and rubber band them closed. if you weren't to cover the plow, keep an eye on the bags through the summer as UV rays will deteriorate the plastic bags. i'm sure someone will recommend spraying the plow with FF , i just use old motor oil thined w/ diesel to coat the plows,
    steve

3. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

I clean them real good, spray wax, WD40 the corners and spots prone to rust and coat exposed cyls with white lyth. There they sit till fall. They'll rust if they're stored full of salt. If theyre clean and taken care of, they won't. One of mine is an 02 model, sat outside in the elements all of it's life and the backside looks good as new, literally.

4. Skid Mark

Skid Mark Member
    from ny

I put them indoors

5. skidooer

skidooer Senior Member

clean it up real well,wash & wax and spray the whole thing down with fluid film. I would put it on something (pallet or plywood) to keep it off the ground, if you are going to leave it out I would put something over it to keep it out of the UV light to stop fading.

6. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I keep mine inside but when I did have to leave one out I cleaned and then tarped it.
    I set it on a pallet to keep it off the ground.

7. gene gls

gene gls PlowSite.com Veteran

I have 2 and keep them in my storage garage.

8. snocrete

snocrete Banned

I keep the plows inside and the pushers outside.....if i had the room i'd keep the pushers inside to!!..............anyway, clean plow REAL good then wipe it down, prop it up on some blocks, coat the ENTIRE plow with fluid film, and throw a tarp over it.

9. MattyK

MattyK Senior Member
    from Boston

Set it on some cinder blocks, cleaned, greased, electrical outlets with dielectric grease, LOCKED, and tarped.

10. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

watch out for mice and other rodents. They like some parts of the Blizzards.

11. AESC

AESC Member

i keep mine outside/inside near the corner of my fence. i built a small roof in the corner of my fence to protect the plow when it is off. and am going to have a tarp fastenend to the front to protect it from the elements during the summer. not full weather proof but should keep almost everything out.
    It also should keep it out of sight so my kids dont play on it. also keeps it hidden from possible theft.
    I do have a V plow so it fits in the corner very nice. i use 4 concrete blocks which is on gravel. My plow has been through 3 full seasons and looks great. just some scratches on the plow side that has some rust. from the back it is shiny and new. I do bundle my wires up top to keep them from sitting on the ground.
    It did sit outside the first two years but i did clean it very good and then did a oil spray to protect it.

If i had a garage i would put in in there but i dont.

12. AndyTblc

AndyTblc Senior Member

Since blizzard and sno-way's basically are alike, what parts of the plow do they like?

13. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

Mine sit in a shop

14. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

I have had only two parts. The connection from the motor that you would plug into the truck, and hydro lines. I spray everything now with Lith or FF. I don't think they like it.

15. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

mine sit in a barn all summer. never a problem with rodents.

Anybody in the WNY area looking to store there plows 6 months for $180.00 if interested PM or email me Josh@diamondconcretewny.com Big big barn thats secure.

16. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Mice like anything rubber or plastic to chew on.

17. ERCKWD

ERCKWD Member

Store mine inside for the summer, during the winter months I tarp it with a 10x15 foot piece of rubber roofing,when not in use, UV rays won't affect it and rain/snow/ice wont go through like some tarps.

18. XplowX

XplowX Junior Member

I store mine inside our pole building, i just pressure wash the plow really good, fix any rust, change the fluid, and its ready for next year

19. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

I leave mine on all year long.

Clean it real good. Mine's a V so I pull the blades back to hide the cylinders. WD-40 everything. Set it on a pallet and tarp it.

20. AndyTblc

AndyTblc Senior Member

So when I put mine away, should I angle it, so one of the cylinders is all the way in, but then the other will be all the way out. Or don't it matter?