1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Storing the Vbox

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Mick, Jun 14, 2003.

1. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I thought someone might get an idea from this they can use. I have a big garage and wanted to store the Vbox inside so I rigged this up. It's a one ton manual hoist. I built the framework out of 2x6's. The beam that the hoist is on is a piece of hardwood 6x7 on a longer 2x6. The back of the box sits on two pieces - a 4x4 and a 4x6. The front sits on 2 attached 2x4s. In the picture, it looks like the braces lean, but they don't really. It's just from the camera angle while I stood on the steps. I have the Vbox high enough so it doesn't interfere with backing the truck inside. I usually have a 2x4 sitting across both braces so as I back, when the rack gets to the 2x4 it's time to stop so I don't hit the Vbox motor.

vbox from side.jpg
  2. Mick

from Maine

Another angle

vbox from front.jpg
  3. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

When I had mine, I made up some heavy duty saw horses from 2x6s using a plan I saw on the Hot Rod Magazine TV show. They were very sturdy and very portable, similar to your idea.
  4. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

Looks good Mick must be nice to have a garage big enough to fit your equipment in.
  5. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

Thats a nice v-box. it must be much better storing your snow removel equipment in doors. great set up to.:redbounce
  6. Mick

from Maine

Thanks. Yes, it's pretty nice - 30'X40' and two story. There's a work bench and work area on the other side of the truck. Better than crawling around on the ground to work on stuff like I used to. I had stored the 9' plow between the Vbox and the wall till this year when I decided to store it outside so I could get to it easier.
  7. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

I used to have an electric hoist

Mounted inside the garage at work. Back In, hit a button, drop the chain, hook up, hit a button and off the Vbox comes.

It's sweet, until someone forgets to undo the turnbuckle holdowns, and literally lifts the whole damn truck.

But it sure beats cranking it off by hand.
  8. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

Nice set up Mick. (Insert Tim Allen Home Improvement sound effect here) That surely is a great optical illusion with the angles in the picture LOL

At least you know that spreader wasn't moving anywhere in the back of the truck ;)