1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Storing sand and salt on gravel floor

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Snow tracker, Feb 19, 2016.

1. Snow tracker

Snow tracker Senior Member

I am looking to build a salt shed out of the 2x2x6 concrete blocks and put some type of make shift roof over it like trusses with plastic or a half round green house type trusses with zippered end walls. It will have two bays one for sand mixed with salt or calcium chloride and the other for bulk salt maybe mixed with calcium. If I had this sitting on compact quarry wash, what trouble would I have with ground moisture and the salt? Do I need a solid surface floor? I know I would have to be careful not to dig to deep. What is your experience with this type of storage?

2. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

Many previous threads on this fyi

3. Hysert

Hysert PlowSite.com Addict

Imo you need to put some asphalt down! Not only are you gonna lose product through the gravel you will be picking up gravel and firing it at cars etc.. I would recommend getting some hot mix spreading it out and plate tamping! Jmo.

4. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Better check state laws, in Michigan we have to have an impervious floor for salt storage.

5. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

What does the law in Michigan say? Does it give thickness or recommend materials. We are moving my Landscape yard next month and are going to be on M24 next to the City limits, very high profile area.

6. Mark Oomkes

Basically, either asphalt or concrete and it must be covered.

I should have the info from DEQ someplace. If I find it I'll let you know and get your email addy.

7. LapeerLandscape

I heard (rumor) they were trying to make a guy near Flint put down 18" of concrete but that's just what we heard.

8. Mark Oomkes

It's not the law.

I've had 2 "visits" from DEQ, salt storage was not a problem either time.

9. LapeerLandscape

Ok thanks.

10. Snow tracker

Thank you, sorry for bringing up old info. Every time I search it never seems to bring my to what I am looking for, but I will dig a little deeper.

11. Snow tracker

That was what I was thinking I would do but then a friend said they just have quay wash on the bottom of the bin. I asked him about mixing gravel with the salt. He said it wasn't a problem and at the end of the year they mix the bottom salt into next years sand mix. I am sure I will be happier with a hard surface.

12. Mark Oomkes

I received a text from a certain union monkey correcting me. Asphalt and concrete are NOT impervious.

However, MDEQ requires one or the other for salt storage.

13. ktfbgb

ktfbgb Senior Member

I am no expert on the salt storage issue. Where I am from for slabs for houses code is to put a vapor barrier under the slab. This prevents ground moisture from seeping up into the house. I do know that you want to keep salt dry. It would probably be good cheap insurance to put down some 6 mil visqueen as a vapor barrier under your slab if you go that route.

14. paid4

paid4 Junior Member

we just dump our salt on gravel and throw a tarp over it, of course we try and make sure it gets used up before winters over. only buy a triaxle load at a time tho so that helps

15. Herm Witte

Herm Witte Senior Member

If I were you, which I am not, I would be concerned about potential ground pollution and the potential of the salt getting into the aquifer. You will then have bigger problems than you would ever imagine. Please, please, please consider the impact of salt usage and storage on our environment. As professionals we need to lead the way as well as obeying salt storage rules and regulations.

16. paid4

paid4 Junior Member

Theres alot worse things that go on to potentially contaminate the ground and aquifers then a 20 ton covered salt pile in my opinion and observations.

17. Herm Witte

Herm Witte Senior Member

I don't disagree with your comment. However does that give our industry license to ignore facts about pollution, and or licence to ignore local and state laws that apply to this situation. Later yesterday I read up on Wisconsin's laws concerning salt storage. Any entity, governmental or private, storing 1000 lbs or more of salt must store it covered on an impermeable surface.

18. tawilson

tawilson Senior Member

There's a big stink going on around here now with homeowner's wells getting contaminated from the state's salt piles.

19. Snow tracker

Thanks. That's great info. I think it would make it much more efficient as well.

20. LapeerLandscape

A part of me gets it and a part of me dont. We can pour tons of salt on every road and every parking that will end up just as run off to the grass or in our drains eventually in the creeks and streams but we cant store a few tons on a high and dry spot under cover.