1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

storing salt

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by clark lawn, Mar 5, 2009.

1. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

i have about 1500-1800 pounds of salt in my dump truck and i dont want to just waste it. what can i do to store it til next winter? i have a shop were i can store it inside, i was thinking about a couple of large plastic bins with lids on them. 2 times they perdicted winter storms so i went and got loaded and then nothing happened .

2. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

If you are going to keep it inside you could buy a couple of garbage cans, they are pretty cheap. You won't be able to lift them back in your truck by hand. 5 Gallon pails work great also. They hold about 60lbs.

3. clark lawn

from NE ohio

i mught do the garbage can thing have to see which is cheaper. ill use a 5 gallon bucket to load and unload.

4. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

Its best not to "get Loaded" before a winter storm as you need all your wits about you.:jester: As to the storage of salt. I have mine under cover all summer long, however its best that it can "breathe" so you dont get the humidity locked in. Last year I had about 24 Ton left over under a "greenhouse " type structure, facing south west with the front open.tymusic:salute:

5. clark lawn

from NE ohio

i had no choice but to get loaded before the storm hit. the last one was supossed to hit on a sunday afternoon into evening and the place i get salt from closed at noon on sat. there was a 90% chance of snow 3-5 inches on sat. by sunday it had moved south and we got about .25"

6. plownoob

plownoob Senior Member
    from ny

sos storage bins. Weather tite so you can keep the stuff outside. I've seen them with like 1/2 - 1 ton capacity. Think theyre around like $200-$400.