1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Storing salt/sand on site

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Brad3403, Oct 17, 2009.

1. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

Has anyone used a Sea-Can for storing de-icing material on site. I've got 15 sites to sand all over the city and haven't found any place that is open 24/7. Was thinking about renting a couple of Sea-Cans and leaving them at certain sites. I would use a skid steer to load the sander from them. Thoughts and other suggestions?

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

That's a pretty popular idea. Seems to work well. Put them at your larger lots, of course.

3. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

Why not build a small salt bin ?

4. Snowplow71

Snowplow71 Senior Member

Whats he gonna do if he loses the account? If I could leave salt on a lot, I'd do the Sea containters. That way, in the spring/summer, there isn't a building sitting on the lot. But I've got my shack at the shop with an asphalt ramp (that I gotta seal yet:cry:) in her :nod:

5. Pennings Garden

Pennings Garden Senior Member
    from VA

You can't lock a salt bin, and for allot of guys it's a pain to move mafia blocks around due the weight, on to of that, you then have to mess around with a tarp and stuff... and you can rent containers fairly cheap...

By the way,
    Thanks again for the lead you gave me, charlie is supposed to get back to early this week, we will see...

6. forestfireguy

I guess those are good points, but if you park a machine in front of a bin and secure it well theft issues are negligible, do these container rental guys give you trouble about putting salt in them? besides if it's a good sized site do you waste a skidsteer on loading only, when you have a loader or a backhoe there to push?

7. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

I told the container rental guy what I was planning on using it for and he didn't seem to have an issue with it. Rental price for a 20' is $85.00 per month. The way my sites are is that there is 5 large retail outlets within about 10 minutes of each other on each side of the city. I've currently got a 2 yard spreader that I can do 2 locations with one load. I will have a SS at each site anyway so I don't think loading will be a problem. I was going to leave a small bucket in the container. I was planning on using a pickled mix. I've never spread straight salt, does straight salt do a good job of getting down to the pavement? Or am I better staying with pickled? I also thought of using tote bags with a funnel in the bottom. Lift them with the pallet forks and release the funnel and it would drain into the spreader. This way it's not secure and not as waterproof.

8. forestfireguy

Straight salt works well depending on temps. When you pickled, you mean treated salt I assume? If thats correct then you can load with a bucket, the funnel bag thing seems like alot more work.

9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

For you guys renting boxes, be careful. I know a fellow that rented a couple. Did some damage with the skidsteer. The cost to repair was about the same as the cost to buy the box was. He said, no problem, I'll just buy the box. They wouldn't let him. He had to pay for the repair, which you can be sure was not done, and still didn't have the box.

10. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

Pickled is 7mm gyra (gravel) with about 10% salt. The totes would be more work because I would have to pre-fill them and deliver 5-10 to a couple of key sites. Each one could hold about 1500 lbs. of product.

11. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

Thanks, that is certainly something to keep in mind.

12. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

When I inquired about renting a box for the winter the rental co ask what for?.. when I told them it was for salt, I had to purchase the box ($2300 for a 8x20).... I'm putting in some 2 x 12s along the inside so if the skid hits the side it should just slide along the boards instead of peircing the metal... thats the theory anyway......just a thought if you have 5 commercial sites you might consider a 8x40 container...btw there pretty cheap to get the delv companies to move them for you if you loose the account the following year

Good luck

13. Pennings Garden

Pennings Garden Senior Member
    from VA

I guess you could put some sheets of 3/4" ply wood on their site agains the sides to protect them?