1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Storing salt inside shop??

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by DAFFMOBILEWASH, Nov 15, 2009.

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Has anyone done it?? Thinking of making a area in the corner to hold 15-30ton. Shop is 50'*50' 20' roof inside and lots of extra room. By using some blocks to contain it and a tarp on the top. Think it is a good idea?? Or will I regret it !!!
  2. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Cedar Lawn had a pile in shop when I was in there, I don't think he likes it very much. Ask him about it.
  3. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

the guy that i sub for has his in the shop. It's been like that for 4 years. The only issue I have ever seen was trying to get the trucks in there to fill them up but he just bought a new huge shop so that won't be an issue anymore since his new one will hold 30+ trucks.
  4. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

I store my salt inside the shop in super sacks
  5. timberseal

timberseal Senior Member
    from 46385

Hey thats a good idea...... you load them or are they shipped to you in the sacks? It would make for easy loading of the vbox too as long as you had a forklift :)
  6. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

I load them with the v-box ......I am not a huge user of salt so this has worked well for me...I have a loader that I can move them with....

I should be a little more descriptive......I use "small" super sack that hold approximately 500lbs. I currently have about 30 of them in the shop...
  7. Pennings Garden

Pennings Garden Senior Member
    from VA

I just ordered 25 Bulk sacks that will hold 2400LB, so they should hold about a yard each.
    I'm planning on loading them with a conveyor belt we already own, slowly dumping the salt on the belt with the skid steer, should get 23 ton loaded in a couple of hours.

I'll post a picture when I'm done.
  8. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Couple of years back we plowed a mall. They had some unfinshed lease space so we would kee 100 tons and 20 pallets in there at all times. Along with the sidewalk bobcats. Nothing better than having almost unlimited heated space onsite for free :)
  9. lawnkale

lawnkale Senior Member
    from Indiana

we have 2 barns 1 for mowing equip and 1 for landscape. In the winter we change the landscape barn into our salt storage. we put concrete blocks on 2 sides to push against. Its great. We load the trucks inside out of the weather. keep salt dry. it holds about 400 tons. Hopefully we use it this year or come spring i'll be in trouble

Thanks for the info. This season I have a little more room inside the shop and thought it might be a good idea. Untill now I have been buying on demand and last season I was stung with the price jump and shortages. Will the salt damage the floors at all?? They are 20 year old concrete.
  11. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

No it won't damage your floors.
  12. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

the company I work for in the winter has indoor storage and it doesn't seem to hurt the building. sure is nice to have dry salt to load.

seal the floor if it concerns you. salt institute recommends both.

this is interesting--we were worried to and just got 25 tons of salt delivered to our shop today; first time using bulk salt; just got our first commercial property. I think our cement block building is 60 x 60 and ceilings very high--not sure sure off hand on the height but our buck loader fits inside and our 34 foot diesel pusher motor home fits inside; anyhow we just worry about moisture activating the salt; we have a little bit of moisture that builds on one of the walls. We didnt get cement blocks to contain it, we did put wood between the wall and the salt; and it is rounder in the middle--not much up against wall.
  14. fieldman23

fieldman23 Junior Member

I've got my salt stored in a wood bin in a unheated metal building. After 7 years, i'm noticing salt damage on the overhead door and garage door opener. Definately worth having dry salt though.
  15. procut

procut Senior Member

Thats how I've done it for years. In the back corner I usually keep 20-30 tons.

Have been working in the shop cleaning up the mess from over the years. Started in the corner and doing a complete lap of the perimeter. I have noticed I keep way too many scraps or just in case stuff!!!! Its all going out the door. Time to start fresh and only keep the important stuff. I'm planing on starting with 15-20 tonne and putting it in the corner. I think with some extra plywood and lumber all will be good. The building is insulated with steel structural members and wood on the inside walls. Plan on using some tarps to prevent the salt from entering the wall trough the tiny voids.

How far out should I expect the salt to be from the corner with 20 ton?? Will 10' be OK or do you think more. Just planning a new layout of the shop and don't want to move things too many times.

Anyone have any picks of 20-30ton???
  17. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

24 ton is about an average tri-axle load here if that helps.........