1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

storing salt in a container

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by PTSolutions, Oct 4, 2011.

1. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

Hey guys, just wanted to get some input from those of you who store salt in a shipping container. We own a 20' unit that we store our asv rc100 with blower in there and looking to pick up another unit for the same site to store 20-30 tons in there.

A question I have is should I go with an open top container and make a hoop structure on top so that way i have more ventilation, or would the sealed type container be fine?

have you guys had issues storing your salt in the sealed container as in, clumping, wet salt etc... I do notice alot of condensation inside my storage container when there are temp shifts in the winter.

2. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

I have used a container in the past and it worked well
    Only issue I found was that the sides of the container were corrugated and salt would build up there.
    I would say plywood the sides half way up before you fill it
    It's hard filling it full Need a good ramp to get in otherwise when it's wet out it's hard getting up slow

3. Cam.at.Heritage

Cam.at.Heritage Junior Member

We have 6 storage containers to store random materials in the summer and winter but found that the bagged products will cause condensation inside the container and can damage certain types of material. We have never stored anything bulk in a container so not sure now that works. Our salt tent is quite open and ventilated so no moisture issue there.

4. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

We used one last year (fully enclosed) and the only time we ever had any clumping was when it was delivered to us wet. Well, to clarify, it didn't clump any more than when it was delivered. Our 20ft or whatever size they are only held about 23 tons tops. This year I am going to make a ramp so the skid steer has a better angle to push maybe a couple more tons in it and a smoother entry/exit. The biggest issue we had was keeping the salt away from the doors so we could close it up.

5. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

No issues... alittle clumping but not bad..... alittle secret, I fit 32 ton in mine by putting some 2x10 about half way up in front of the doors... worked like a charm!

6. bmlitton

bmlitton Junior Member

We have used a 40' container for about 5 years now to store bulk salt. It's lined with plywood and works great. We can easily put 50 tons in one. Sometimes the salt will form a slight crust but the main part of the pile stays fine with no clumping.

7. Brian Young

Ah good idea Mike! I can easily see how that would enable you to get a few more tons in there cuz after about 20 tons it starts spilling out the front,lol.

8. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

What's the best way to get the salt inside the container?

9. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Skid steer... you just have to watch while piling it in there as you cant get the salt all the way to the top...the bucket will hit the roof (Dont ask how I found out.....:) )

10. nh785

nh785 Member

What about usind a skid blower to blow it in?

11. PTSolutions

^noise pollution? lol

i cannot find a slinger truck locally to contract out so we will be loading our container with our skidder as well. or if i could find someone with a firewood conveyor system lol...

12. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

Are you then loading it into a spreader for parking lots? If so how are you doing this with the 2x10 at the door? Or are you using the stockpile to fill buckets for sidewalks?

13. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Brad, I like to work smarter and not harder... I couldn't imagine filling 32 ton of salt into buckets...LOL... no Its for bulk spreading..... you measure behind your corner posts (or in my case the corner posts have a groove that accepts the boards) cut the boards to fit. Start filling the box like you'd normally do and when the pile (that darn slope) gets to the door put a board in there (no need to attach as the pressure of the salt will keep it secure) ....continue to fill until the pile starts sliding up to the top of the first board and put your second board there, and so on until the boards are half way up the container........ When your ready to use the salt its easy to get the skids bucket over the boards..... when you can't get anymore salt you take a board down and the process continues.....

HIH

14. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

Not to hijack, but how do you guys move these containers? Say for example a 20 footer, you using roll offs? I want to hear from the guys who don't have roll offs.

15. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

Float it on a trailer or hire a tow truck company with a flat deck.

16. PTSolutions

i hire a tow company that shows up w/ like a 25' roll off deck, about 120 per move.

17. Brian Young

Same here. The company we rent it from delivers it and takes it back.

18. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

If you have a 20' deck over you can lift up on end of it with a skid pretty easy, back the truck/trailer under and then push it on from behind. Pretty easy to do.

19. PGHplowguy

PGHplowguy Senior Member

Maybe a dumb question, but I do not know the answer...

These shipping containers you all are speaking of.
    Are the dimensions whatever long x 8' W x 8' H?

How high using a bobcat can you get the salt piled inside without hitting the roof?

Would I have any problems fitting 23 tons into a 20' long container?

To have the salt delivered it would be dumped onto a loose gravel flat driveway. Would I have any problems grabbing buckets with the bobcat to load the container? Doing so without also grabbing the gravel?

Thanks for the help.