1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Storing salt bags outside?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Spence92, Nov 5, 2015.

1. Spence92

Spence92 Junior Member

Hi everyone, I've been pokin round here for awhile. I'm currently is high school, senior year. (2nd year shoveling commercially) And I am doing some sub contracting for another company, they will be giving me the salt bags. About 20-25 of them.

I have access to my families pole barn, but would it be OK if I just stack it on a pallet and cover it? For the winter.

Thanks for the help again guys. Really preciate it.
    I'll slowly be moving from lawnsite to plowsite over the next few weeks.

2. JMHConstruction

JMHConstruction PlowSite.com Addict

Not too many of us guys that just do walks on plowsite, good to see I'm not alone! 20-25 bags isn't much, and if you can I'd throw em in the barn. The company I subbed for game me 2 pallets. I live in an apartment and have no shop, so I rent a storage unit. I think as long as they were covered you'd be safe, but I know for my stuff I don't want to ruin hundreds of dollars of someone else's product. Also, if moisture gets to that it will all harden, and that is a pain you don't want to deal with. I even try to keep mine covered in the truck if I can, but most of my guys have a bad habit of grabbing a bag and walking off without throwing the tarp back on.

3. Spence92

Spence92 Junior Member

Haha. Yes since I'm still in school there would be no way I could run a plow route. So I'm stuck shoveling. I don't mid though, but I will make some space in the barn, just wanted to here some more opinions.

The company I worked for last year stored all their salt outside, it was well covered. So I didn't know if it mattered.
    Thanks though!

4. JimMarshall

JimMarshall Senior Member
    from NW PA

Is 25 bags supposed to last all season? How quickly do you expect to use it? Covered it should be fine outside.

5. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

If the bags are sealed you will be fine. There are some that aren't, they have a folded spout on them, these I would store indoors or at lest tarp.
    When i first started salting I bought bags for the limited customers I had and always bought skids that I stored outside.

6. Spence92

Spence92 Junior Member

It's for one commercial account. I plan on using 1 bag per event. So roughly 20 or 25 snow events.

7. Spence92

Spence92 Junior Member

Thanks guys! You guys rock

8. JimMarshall

from NW PA

I see. I apologize, that just seems like so little salt to me. You should be fine as long as it is covered.

9. JMHConstruction

JMHConstruction PlowSite.com Addict

Because I have space for my pallets, I'll keep them inside. I agree with you guys about being safe if it's covered, but I was curious as to how you each cover them? Just a tarp, with a roof (like at a lumber yard or maybe salt storage), maybe plastic and a tarp, etc.? I know that when I order concrete and have pallets sit in customers drives if I throw plastic over it and staple to the pallet, they all stay dry. That is only for a few days though, not months. So what are the best ways to cover your bags?

10. JimMarshall

from NW PA

My pallets come covered with a plastic bag already.

11. Spence92

Spence92 Junior Member

No problem. Thanks for the help!