1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Storing rock salt in nj

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Bigb40319, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Bigb40319

Bigb40319 Member

Does anybody know the regulations on storing rock salt on parking lots in new jersey I tried to search it but couldn't come up with anything.

2. bam

bam Senior Member
    from .

the only info I have seen is in regards to public DOT storage. Highlights include a permanent structure with non permeable base, built above the 100 yr flood mark, at least 200 ft away from stormwater entry points, and recommendation of immediate cleanup of any spilled salt from loading/unloading. Also, outside storage limited to certain months between October and March. Largest problem with salt is polluting stormwater system, which potentially could lead to public drinking water supply.

On a private contractor level, I would think the more you could do to prevent runoff the better.

I have one client who built a three sided structure for the salt which will hold 300 tons. In the past, the pile was tarped inside a 30'x30' concrete barrier setup.

I would say that some contractors may just dump the salt at there jobs, while more responsible contractors will tarp and in better cases surround with blocks.

I would also look for storm drains on site and keep the pile away from them.

After salting I would clean up the pile and tarp it well.

I don't think you will find much info, because it is probably frowned upon by the environmental officials. It is a necessary "evil" for peoples safety during storms.

3. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

I have used "mafia blocks" with a coverall on top and the front of the pile tarped, secured tarp with old tires, they look cheesy but they're free and the work no matter the wind, also done the same without the coverall, just tarped well and again with the tires. Make sure you don't put it near a storm drain or local or dep might make you move it, been there, not fun. As far as runoff the idea is to place it such that no water runs under the blocks or into the front of the blocks, and of course it be covered well. If you have an issue you can get rubber diking material like the hazmat boys use to keep things contained. I'd reccomend parking your machine in front of the bin, I had a guy once drive his machine across the rd from his site and take a scoop carry it back over and load his salter......Got there about an hour later, was obviously not a scoop from my machine and then he left a trail halfway across the lot, so I took pics and let it go a few days, gave him the benefit of the doubt(he was having refreeze issues in a big way and our salt was treated, thus a wet black lot, his was black but you coulda skated on half of it) when he didn't approach my guys at the next event or make a phone call I went to the store got the camera footage and went to the cops....never went anywhere as he came and paid up before court, the crappy thing is I'd have said sure take what you need I know whats there and we'll settle up later if he'd asked, just a phone call and despite the competition factor he's a local guy, good rep............so parking in front to prevent access is cheap insurance.......anybody else ever have a salt theif??

Last edited: Jan 12, 2009
  4. Bigb40319

Bigb40319 Member

Thanks for all the help

5. MnM

MnM Senior Member

i have dumped a load of salt in a lot before and was told I had to move it. They said that the sewer drains emptied into some creek and green acres was bit@hing, so I had to move the pile back to my shop. just thought I would share my experience.

6. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Dump the load and cover it with one heavy tarp and use skids to hold it down. Tires are a pain IMO. We did it that way for over 20 years and I still have a 400 ton pile covered that way in a parking lot, never had a complaint.

7. MnM

MnM Senior Member

i think he is talking about NJ not Canada