1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Storing Magic Salt

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by jb1390, Dec 13, 2010.

1. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

I can get magic salt at $130 a ton, and I am interested in giving it a try this year compared to the salt/sand mix I have used previously. My question is: I don't want material at $130 a ton to be useless at the end of the year if I don't use it.

I have a salt bin with asphalt grindings as a floor, and concrete mafia blocks stacked 2 high (4 feet). I am covering this with some pole steel structure, 2x4's, and a tarp. The end (20-30') away from the salt will be open. How does magic salt do with clumping throughout the season-and over the summer if I have leftover?

2. leon

leon Senior Member

magic salt

A lot depends on whether the magic salt was first sprayed with Sodium Ferro Cyanide
    "No Cake" solution dry prior to being sprayed with the second solution.

Usually "no cake" is only spread on halite with out anything else.

The problem is humidity and more humidity with Halite storage in bulk and thats something that
    is unavoidable no matter the salt type and especially with bagged product as the bags are porous and not moisture proof.

You do not have much of a solution either way for you short of zipping up the hoop shed and running a dehumidifier unless you buy more sodium ferro cycanide powder and mix it thouroughly and spray the salt again it before piling.

3. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

It may cake a little bit, but any caking that occurs will be easily broken up. Pull the chunks out, run them over with skid steer/loader and put in the vbox, really that easy.

4. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Same with straight salt,

5. speralandscape

speralandscape Member

During the season you should be fine but leaving the salt there over the summer is going to harden like a rock.

6. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Just a small layer on the outside. We've been storing salt in the off season for over 30 years and have never had a problem.