1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Storing liquid on property?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Plow man Foster, Sep 25, 2011.

1. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

Ok well we just got another account back. Now we have 4 commercial accounts in a row. FYI they all require liquid to be put down after plowed. These happen to be about 30 mins away from the shop on a Good day(sunny,snowfree). Instead of getting a bigger tank on the truck im thinking about putting a Big 2k gallon liquid storage tank on one of the properties.

Only reason i bring this up is i figured we were wasting A LOT of time going back and forth to spray. And that 30 MIn drive easily turned into a hour (and a half sometimes) drive... both ways!

I dont want to kill any grass so its gonna have to go on the pavement// asphalt.
    Im just wondering if all that weight or the brine alot will hurt the pavement over the winter.
    Anyone have any experience with this?

Would there be any theft with storing liquid on site?

On our rigs we can reverse the pump so we can actually pump the liquid into the trucks tank.

Think just taking the hose would be good enough??

[​IMG]

2. bharkness

bharkness Junior Member

Brad from Michigan Chloride
    We have a few customers that have tanks in parking lots and they have not had problems with any theft that I know of.

3. Plow man Foster

Okay. Just wouldnt want to wake up go to the site to fill up and see it empty....

4. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Put a Lock on it.......

I see many sites that companys store Liquid on......I would check with the State of Michigan DEQ on Storage rules and Distances from Rivers and Lakes...I know Michigan is starting to crack down on some rules they were slack on..Such as containment, ETC....

5. Plow man Foster

OMG i was so skeptical about even reading this post when i saw that you commented. I was very amazed that you actually said some useful info instead of the usual arrogant gibberish..

6. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

I know more than you will ever Know.....Hows that for Arrogant....Thumbs Up

Maybee if you wern't such a BS artist you would have more respect and credibility.....:nod:

Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  7. Pennings Garden

Pennings Garden Senior Member
    from VA

how about putting the tank inside a 20' container, this way you can store additional stuff on site. they are not that expensive and last for ever if you paint them every couple of years, they are also great "bill boards" to advertise your other services.

8. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

The first thing I would do is ask any one of the property manager's. Then if he/she says ok, I would start asking around on a DEP level. After you go through all those run arounds, try to find a good spot to hide it and not tell anyone about it. We went through all kinds of hoops when we wanted to store a bulk liquid tank on a site. They were telling us we had to have a special containment pad constructed, had to be so far away from any drain, a MSD response plan....on and on. Next time I'm just going to hide it out of site, out of mind I guess.

9. Plow man Foster

I have seen those. They are very slick.....At the moment i have no way of transporting one of those. We do rent one. And its at our shop for additional storage. We have the Big shop for repairing equip and trucks. Then 2 containers one for mowers then another for Snow blowers. For long time storage like over the winter and stuff....
    Might be hard to load and unload liquid if it was in one of my containers.

Yeah my buddies are telling me they do it all the time. Out of sight is really out of mind in this case. Expressed my feelings about keeping a tank at one of my condo complexes and the manager was all for it. He recommended that it be put in one of the empty dumpster "stalls". He says it even has a gate with a lock on it.

So i think we will put it in there then take the hose with us.... just found these detachable handles for the liquid tanks! This way unless you have the handle you cant get the liquid out. Finally the gate will be locked!

10. Pennings Garden

Pennings Garden Senior Member
    from VA

You can have a local tow company put it on a flat bed, might cost you $250.- at most.
    put a suction hose on the tank and your up and running.

11. Plow man Foster

I will have to look into that! Only thing is im not sure a tank like shown in the first pic will fit in it...
    Maybe the mini ones will.. HMMMMM!