1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Storing Bulk Salt

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by SWC, Dec 25, 2003.

1. SWC

SWC Senior Member
    from VA

I noticed that some of you buy salt by the truck load.

How do you store bulk salt, are their precations you must take to prevent it from chunking up?
  2. HerkFE

HerkFE Member

We store ours in 20 yard roll-off dumpsters. Works pretty well for us. Here are the advantages we have found:

Our salt is "high and dry". With a tarp over it, no water contamination problems.

An average tri-axle 20 ton load fits easily and doesn't spill out when opening the end.

After our load is dumped alongside, we spray our salt with Magic then easily load the dumpster over the edge. That and the tarping take care of chunking problems.

Our skid-steer fits inside so we can enter, get salt, and load our spreaders.

Easy to store on-site, no blocks to move around in the spring. Call the roll-off company and away it goes!

Can be relocated if necessary. Most of the bigger roll-off trucks could move it even if mostly full.

We have a pretty good salt supplier so we don't stockpile more than about 25 tons or so at a time per site. It is more beneficial for us to have several locations than to set up one big yard pile.

3. SWC

SWC Senior Member
    from VA

Thanks for the info, and Merry Christmas.:salute:
  4. KentuckyPlow

KentuckyPlow Member

Could you tell me a ballpark cost to rent a 20 yard dumpster?
  5. elite1

elite1 Senior Member

That is an great idea!! I never would have though about using a dumpster to hold salt or any other material. I am moving into a new shop in the next 2 weeks and that was going to be a big problem as we have no out door storage, except for an area for dumpsters. Thanks, please reply with more info. on that. Do I call a garbage company? Most around here will only let you keep it for 5 days and then you pay more $$.
  6. HerkFE

HerkFE Member

Rental rates and such...

Well, the company we rent from is one we have worked with in various capacities for years. We have a pretty much standing order every winter for an older banged up unit that is on it's way out so we get a pretty good deal. Also, since building slows down around here in the winter it's one less they have to store! You should be able to get one around $200 a month or so, maybe less ;) ...depending on your negotiating skills. Remind them that it's better to get that than to let it sit. They won't have to touch it for about 4 months so it's not like they have to service it....

Good luck!
  7. Mike Nelson

Mike Nelson Senior Member

We just bought 3 of them. The cheapest being a 30 yard ( I think) was $2,800. and our custom made 8'6"inside by 22' long and 8' sides. Also reinforced flooring for the larger loaders was $4,200.

Eventually we will have a custom tarp made with bows, so the loaders can go in with out having to move the tarp all of the time.

Good Luck
  8. gpin

gpin Senior Member

We contract with a local municipal contractor who has a salt mound in one of those giant dome buildings. He charges me a flat fee of $500 at the beginning of the season and then charges me 120 percent of his cost but that includes loading into my truck. It's sounds costly, but is alot easier than maintaining your own supply.
  9. lotsoflights

lotsoflights Member

what a cool idea

The 20yd dumpster idea is a great fix to a lot of issues...do you have a picture of your setup? I was thinking of doing the samething next year....

10. gpin

gpin Senior Member

We used a metal container for years until the salt rotted out the bottom. We set down a small block foundation, flipped over the dumpster and put on a torchdown roof, viola: new design instant salt shed, but it became the bobcat and mower house instead.
  11. HerkFE

HerkFE Member

Here is a pic of ours:

Built small 6x6 ramps to enter from the end. We don't buy ours because we get a great deal on them for the season and then we don't have storage, rotting issues.....

snow 016.jpg

OBRYANMAINT PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ohio

loks loke you have made some bows or something to keep heavy snows off the top?!

do you think it's a big hassle clearing off the snow?
  13. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

This is an excellent idea:) The only way that it could be any better is if the container company would get it filled with salt for you before they delivered it. This is an excellent example of problem solving :waving:
  14. elite1

elite1 Senior Member

Just as a price comparison, does any body know how much those concrete blocks (4000-6000 lbs ?) cost?
  15. North Country

North Country Senior Member

This is why I am here!

HerkFE that is an excellent idea! Sometimes the simple solution evades us. It might not work for everyone but it will for most.

These ideas are the reason I am here - just a couple of these beauties can save you seasons of headache. In one of our areas you need a site inspection and a permit to store bulk salt on the ground, there is also a 'Change of land usage fee' if the pile isn't in a permanent structure or stored there year round. Another example is the feed elevator to load your spreader, Great!

There is nothing like a little brainstorming to get you motivated.

I just posted some informative Sand vs Salt links here</b></center>
  16. carlriv2

carlriv2 Senior Member
    from Mass

I just built a storage area...

It is soooo much better than the old tarp on the ground thing, and reasonably cheap.

17. badranman

badranman Senior Member

It looks like you used one of those carports you can buy. How does it stand up to wind? What's a ballpark total cost? Does the backhoe reach all the way in?
  18. carlriv2

carlriv2 Senior Member
    from Mass

Yes it is a carport type thing.....

So far so good with the wind

I used some rope and tied some X braces on the inside between the posts to help hold it more rigid in case the wind is too much.

The backhoe does fit all the way in.

The bottom is made of 6x6x10 timbers 4 high with angle braces on the sides.... the snow piled is just to hold it a little more... I also screwed an old garden hose on the bottom to act like a gasket to the asphalt to keep the water from running under the timbers.

Canopy $169.00
    Timbers 20 @ 25.00 each
    2X8X8 3 @ $5.00
    Timberloc liquid, nails, screw eyes etc $40.00
    2 men 6 hours to build & test fit in shop
    2 men 1.5 hours to assemble on site
  19. badranman

badranman Senior Member

Like the hose idea, good thinking. Thanks for the info.
  20. Rtom45

Rtom45 Junior Member

We have built a special salt shed, over dimension in height with large opening facing away from prevailing wind. But we also buy bulk salt by the triaxle, so we needed a special building