1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Storing Bulk Salt

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by DAVE IN BUFFALO, Sep 27, 2003.

1. DAVE IN BUFFALO

DAVE IN BUFFALO Junior Member

Here is my problem. I am looking for a way to store bulk salt.
    I am going to salt this year for the first time. I only have one commercial account where the salt will be used. The plow truck/salter will be kept on site. I have a SNOW EX VEE 6000 installed in the pick up. It holds 1 cubic yard of salt. I don't know how much that will cover since I am new to salting this year. The company will not let me keep salt on the property unless it is properly stored. I cannot tarp it on parking lot, I cannot afford to build a bldg, I can possibly put some in a trailer and keep it on site that way and just shovel it into the loader bucket to dump in spreader. I was thinking about plastic or steel 55 gallon barrels. I just wanted to put the question out to you :waving: and see what all of your expertise and knowledgeyou all would bring up. I have a friend 5 miles away that I can go to 24/7 to get his salt since he has a huge salt barn. Ploease give me some advice on this matter and I'm sure I'll be able to come up with an answer. Thank you again

THIS IS A GREAT PLACE......THANKS TO ALL THAT MAKE IT ALL HAPPEN

2. OBRYANMAINT

OBRYANMAINT PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ohio

I have heard of guys putting it in a container that you rent similar to a tractor trailer size

3. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

A container would be my sugestion too .Unless you go to BJ's and buy one of those $300 instant garages it measure 12x8x20 Roughly and has open ends that you could rig up some tarps to close.Then you can get a bobcat in to load your sander :D

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Dave, I'm in the same situation, only with sand/salt. I just go to my supplier who is about three miles away. I can use his loader 24/7, get as many loads as I need and email him what I took. I've considered keeping my own pile. I have the space, but that would mean getting a loader or skid steer. I'd save money per ton vs buying from him and it would be more convenient, but the cost of the loader would more than offset any advantage - at least in my opinion.

5. SnowGodFather

SnowGodFather Member

Blocks are $30 each

out back.jpg

6. SnowGodFather

SnowGodFather Member

I searched a long time for a skid loader real cheap.

new holland other side.jpg

7. SnowGodFather

SnowGodFather Member

For you, bag salt might have to be the way to go.

Already in a container, easy to handle 50# bags, easy to just set the pallets there and cover with a tarp. Just huff them up on top of spreader screen, then climb up and cut them open.

8. DAVE IN BUFFALO

DAVE IN BUFFALO Junior Member

looks easy

God Father,
    The place that I am plowing tells me that salt on the ground is against the law. If You buy blocks and make a three sided area and cover with a tarp like you did, they claim that the salt leeches out.:mad: :mad: So I guess I'm asking, what are the laws against salt storage. They may be different by state. I am in Buffalo New York. If I found something in writing, May be I could present it and they would allow it???

9. Rooster

Rooster Member
    from Kansas

I know Chuck Smith made a post, about having a container and storing salt in it, try email him.

Rick

10. SnowGodFather

SnowGodFather Member

Lets take a cost review...

How much salt do you plan on applying per an event at this place?

There are also roll off dumpsters you can use, I am doing 3 at some locations cause they will use about 20 yards of salt per a salting. Using 30 yard containers. These might be your best bet, sort of bypass some of those BS ordineces.

If you are only going ot use say 5 ton, that's only 4 pallets of salt.

11. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

12. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

Snowgodfather those are nice blocks for $30 we pay more than that here for real crappy looking blocks.

13. SnowGodFather

SnowGodFather Member

$50 delivered or $30 cash n carry..... They seem to sell a boat load of them at the delivered price.

14. bds landscaping

bds landscaping Junior Member

i handle a large commercial account and i store salt on site i also know many people who do the same it is not a law that u cant however i have heard of people who have been sued for the salt causing damage to other properties if it is stored in a residential setting

15. edshipp19

edshipp19 Senior Member

SnowGodFather
    are your salt and mulch piles on a concrete slab?
    is it flat or on a slight pitch to shed water?
    I was thinking about doing exactly what you have in the next couple of weeks
    Thanks
    Brian

16. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

Looks like asphalt from the picture to me.Now all you need to put over those nice blocks is a coverit building to keep the snow and or rain off.

17. edshipp19

edshipp19 Senior Member

We get those blocks for $22 a piece if you pick them up they are great

18. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

They charge $55-60 for 2x2x6 and they are a peice of crap they do not look as nice as snowgodfather.

19. SnowGodFather

SnowGodFather Member

asphalt

Getting ready to put one up on a commercial site now.

Setting it up right on the parking lot.

It's a small lot, I offered then free snow removal in order to do this, and he agreed. Also got it in writing.

Been thinking about one of those make shift carports, but can't get a dump truck under it.

20. Progrounds

Progrounds Junior Member

At one of John Allins seminars he was saying that he uses a roll-off type container with an open top, similar to a 10 yard dumpster.
    How about getting one of those full of salt and then using a skid to load with? If this is your only salting job, the money may not be there to get a skid, unless you put a pusher on it!