1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Storing Bulk Salt on Site NJ

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by tjlands, Nov 24, 2008.

1. tjlands

tjlands Senior Member

In a large shopping center I service I keep 20 tons on site, under a tarp.
    Was told today from owner that the DEP told them I cant keep it there due to runoff into
    storms drains. Anyone ever have issues like this in NJ?
    I did check with the town and they were contacted by the DEP, no BS.
  2. dannyslawn

dannyslawn Senior Member

A friend of mine had the same problem a few years ago. He was storing salt on site in a 3 sided bin block location tarped. The DEP told him he had to keep bales of straw in front of the salt to prevent run off. He still has his salt pile on site with no further problems.
  3. highlander316

highlander316 Senior Member

i wish I had gotten a picture from last year. At the local HD, the salt pile that was on location was near a storm drain. My bro and I drove by and laughed and said 'at the first rain it will be running off into the storm drain.' Sure enough, after the next rain storm, you could see some salt had run off into it.

Could you put the salt anywhere else that would not be near a storm drain?
  4. tjlands

tjlands Senior Member

Every large parking lot drains into a storm drain(s). They have to flow somewhere. My pile is about 150ft from the drain.

I am going to have my guys do the Hay bale thing tommorrow.
    First time in 19 years.

Gotta love it. Fly over Central NJ a day after a big storm, the roads are solid white, curb to curb. And it aint snow. And they worry about a little run-off now.
  5. Mean4x4

Mean4x4 Senior Member
    from Livonia

We experienced this last year

Experienced it in Ann Arbor, MI. Had to remove bin. But just curious, where do these A$$holes think all the salt goes that are spread on our highways and public roads? Frustrating....
  6. fireside

fireside Senior Member

I would look into storage of salt on site. any temp salt storage under 50 tons can be (dep says 100 tons epa says 50 tons)stored on site.By temp they mean the primary reson for storage of ice control products are to be used onsite during a 4 month time frame (winter). Dot, towns, and RESALE yards(or any salt sold for profit) store more than 50 tons onsite for than 4 months and is conceried there primary storage site. They are required to store salt indoors at all times on a cement pad. drainage systems must filter salt bah bah.They are only to load indoors to limit the run off also. ANY salt storage must be covered at all times and run off must be limited just like silt fencing during site work.Only time it is not legal to store salt on site is limited salt areas or water sheds as is defined by DEP. No amount can be stored at all. I had someone complain 2 years ago dep said i'm good to go just stay under 50 tons at all times and keep it covered.
  7. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

just leave it to all the over thinkers in jersey to b*tch about something else:realmad:
  8. draffinc

draffinc Member

We had a similar problem in norhern jersey with regular salt. We switched to magic treated salt and they allowed us to store it with no problems.