1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Storing Boss Plows During the Summer

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Hambrick & Co., Apr 9, 2008.

1. Hambrick & Co.

Hambrick & Co. PlowSite.com Addict

Now that winter is wrapping up for most of us, I have a question about storing my boss plow. Is there anything special I need to do other than give it a thorough cleaning?
  2. Kevin Kendrick

Kevin Kendrick Senior Member

Click on "manuals" tab and pick which plow and it tells you everything you want to know about putting your plow into storage.
  3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

This is it for me,until Nov.

ff end test pixs 010 (Small) (Small).jpg

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Well what kind of plow is it? straight, vee??? What I do to my straight blade is I take and put some vasaline on the turning rams, there exposed to the elements so why not, die electric grease the plugs and you should change the fluid too. I will also touch up any and all paint the has been worn away. (sand any rust off, prime and paint it.) If you don't paint the cutting edge atleast WD40 it so the rust doesn't get to it. With my vee I will grease the center hinge, and die electric the plugs, change the fluid, paint any and all bare spots on the plow, WD40 the cutting egdes and thats it, then they get put in the back of the shop and there they sit until it starts snowing. I have yet to do this to either plow but it will get done before May.

5. Hambrick & Co.

Hambrick & Co. PlowSite.com Addict

Thanks for the info. I have a 7.6 S/D Trip Straight blade.
  6. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

man i was waiting for a dry day ,it came hooked the truck up to clean it up ,used the smart hitch switch once ,moved the truck to the concrete to pressure wash it off ,went to take it off lowered the stand ,was about 1/2 a hole off so bumped the smart hitch switch up with the pin's still locked to the on position to lift the plow up a little bit (done it many time's)got the stand pin in and lo and behold a bad ground, the smart hitch mouse trap spring's glowed red and promptly fried in half . both sides .had to clean all the ground cables and had to spread the split pin's in the power plug and clean them and new dielectric grease .now i can wash it dry it off sprayed down the power unit with fluid film ,put the cover back on,sealed the turn signal's (both had water in them)will now hose it down with fluid film and store it outside with a tarp over the light tower .:dizzy:
  7. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

missing paint

small revision ,well i decided to knock the scab's off first then repair paint ,pressure washed them liberal wash of brake clean and wax and grease remover ,chipped the loose paint and rust scabs's off used a die grinder with abrasive roll's to remove the loose rust and paint .then use sem product's rust seal #39304 it leave's a black coating that you can prime over . it seam's to cap it off good. i used rustoleame rusty metal red oxide enamel primer boss says red oxide holds on to the metal better ,then paint .