1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Storing a Plow Outside for Spring/Summer/Fall

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by Sigma.40, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Sigma.40

Sigma.40 Junior Member

It is probably a tad early to be thinking about this, but I like to plan early. I do not have a garage so I will have to store it outside. If I cover the electrical stuff with baggies that are zip-tied shut and wrap the whole thing in a tarp, would that keep it protected enough from the large amount of rain we get here during the other 3 seasons?
  2. snowplower1

snowplower1 Senior Member

depending on the plow you have, it should have a place to put the plugs to keep them covered, i know our western and boss plows do. We store ours outside and do not cover them and they end up fine, been doing it like that for almost 30 years. I would still wrap them up though because im sure it will keep them a little more protected. The worst part about storing outside is they can have parts stolen, its happened to us
  3. allagashpm

allagashpm Senior Member

cover it and fluid film every thing. Last year I didn't cover mine but it was in a spot that gets no sun and it was fine. This year it will be covered and soaked in FF
  4. Sigma.40

Sigma.40 Junior Member

Thanks. I think the plugs do have little caps. I don't think theft is too big of a concern. I live out of town with few neighbors and can also tuck it behind my house out of sight

Fluid film? Like this:

-Like I said, its probably a bit early to think about it, but maybe not. It's been 50F for a couple days.
  5. twizted143

twizted143 Member
    from nh

I wouldnt cover it, if you cover it I would think the moisture buildup under the tarp would be worse then just leaving it outside. Just my two cents.
  6. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

Yes to above
    But keep it out of the sun, the UV light will eat all the rubber. You can 1/2 cover it to keep the sun off and leave the back side open. FF is a very good. I do this.
  7. Sigma.40

Sigma.40 Junior Member

I was wondering about that...
  8. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

Put it up on a pallet too, keep airflow underneath the plow as well.
  9. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Just beach them out of the way.

my plow.jpg
  10. OldSchoolPSD

OldSchoolPSD Senior Member

I put mine on pallets and set them on top of a sea container. Keeps them out of the way and I can move them easily with the forklift.

I spray them down with oil and pack dielectric grease in the connectors. My oldest one is going on 20 years of being stored outside and it still looks better than most of the junk I see on the road around here.

I always wanted to build a shed for them, but my lot is only 2 acres and space is at a premium.
  11. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

wash them first....then grease the cyl where they are exposed
  12. Sigma.40

Sigma.40 Junior Member

Thanks guys. I will do all of this. Winter seems to be winding down. While most of me is excited to get the motorcycles back out, there is a part of me that is sad that I was only able to use my plow once (I just got the plow truck a couple weeks ago).
  13. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

The downside I discovered with covering any equipment with a tarp is the field mice enjoy the protection the tarp provides and build a home there. It seems field mice enjoy snacking on wiring harnesses as well. I'd rather have the minor deterioration from the sun over destruction from field mice. I HATE those little buggers.
  14. Sigma.40

Sigma.40 Junior Member

Yeah, thats another problem. I'll deal with that when the time comes.