1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Stored bagged ice melt

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by LwnmwrMan22, Oct 12, 2005.

1. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

How long have you all stored bagged ice melt??

I've got a guy that got out of the business, that last year he bought 2 pallets of ice melt and wants to sell them.

He wants $100 total for both. They feel soft, not rock solid, so, unlike fertilizer, the should still be okay, not broke down???

They were stored in a shed, on pallets, kept dry from "supposedly" last spring. I have to take his word on that, although the bags don't look TOO dusty, like they've been sitting around for 5 years either.

Basically comes down to about $1.05 / 50 lb bag.

2. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

rock salt has no expiration date, as long as the bags are not solid as cement, you've got yourself one hell of a deal. with prices going up if this guy was smart he could hold on to them than sell it for a profit.

3. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

yeah im looking at about $160 for rocksalt a pallet and about $650 for calcium chloride which i think they are out of their minds but you better get both of those pallets

4. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

even if the top are soft and the center ones hard, i would still take that gamble its just the risk of buisness and i don't even consider $100 a risk i would love to know where to get pallet ice melt in my area for $3.20 a bag
    thanks Ricky

P.S.- K.C. area if any one knows let me know

5. LwnmwrMan22

Cheapest I can get it at usually is Lesco, $5. / 50 lbs on sale. Calcium chloride, potassium and I THINK magnisuim all in there. Quick Melt 2 (II) melts down to about -20, slowly.

6. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I've still got a couple bags of salt from two winters ago. They're fine. My advice - buy them as fast as you can before somebody else gets there. They could be buried in dust for all I'd care.

7. LwnmwrMan22

Ended up talking to the guy, got them for $40 / pallet, $1 / bag. purplebou

Now if only I could find more guys like this. :D

8. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

9. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

old salt

Guys i still got some salt from mid 80's at dads shop in the back of the shop its cargill salt in 80 lbs bags i just use it when i run out to do his drive should be gone this year but its still just as good but it was about 2 bucks a bag :cry:

10. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

At that prcie BUY 'EM. If not give me his number and I'll ship them to NJ and still make a buck using it!!!