1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Store salt outside on concrete pad?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bcbrouwer, Oct 3, 2012.

1. bcbrouwer

bcbrouwer Member

I have a 30x30' flat concrete pad, and just wondering if anyone has stored salt under a tarp on a concrete surface. I was thinking of buying stackable concrete blocks to make a salt bunker and cover with a tarp, but to me this will do the same thing. I have a tractor to load salt, so pushing the pile around is not a big concern. I realize to have a roof over it is best, but will this still work without turning the salt hard and clumpy on the bottom? Thanks

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

do it. Works fine. Gotta start somewhere.
    Just keep the water away.
  3. We have one pile on a concrete pad and we sealed it with three coats of thompsons
  4. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

lots of guys do it. around here i see a lot of guys just dump it on the parking lot and tarp it, having the concrete block walls is nice though. You dont have to buy into all the b.s. on here about needing a 20k salt storage shed. every way works, some better than others, but if you lose 100 dollars worth of salt, thats a lot of salt you can lose before you build a building.
  5. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I stored like that for years.First on my parents patio! then on top of a layer of sand at my yard.then paved it .Never a big problem.Took a little effort to pull back tarp with the weight of snow. on it. Got some frozen lumps along bottom edges in super cold temps.I would move out of way with skidsteer and break them up later.I'd spread them out and run my skid or dump over them.Lot cheaper than spending 125$ ton verses 68$ ton and having 24 hr availability.
  6. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

yup, and a tip, use a leaf blower to blow the snow off of your tarp. makes life much easier at 4 am in the cold.
  7. bcbrouwer

bcbrouwer Member

thanks guys, it should work ok then for me. appreciate the feedback
  8. JT SNOW

JT SNOW Member

Make sure the salt is not Hungry......Hungry Salt eats Concrete......:eek:.......:nod:
  9. snocrete

snocrete Banned

You will be fine without the blocks and just a tarp....but in the long term, invest now in the "mafia blocks" (concrete blocks)...you will be happy you did. It will save material, save time, allow you to stack more material in a smaller space....basically make life much easier and more profitable in the long term....especially since its "your property".

BTW, be carefull who you take advice from here....theres alot of kids on here trying to portray themselves as businessmen. Good luck!

uh oh....I see you got your fishing pole out
  10. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

No blocks will be better because you can shovel around the entire pile to remove the tarp. We stored salt that way for over 20 years until we got a Coverall.
  11. snocrete

snocrete Banned

That would suck.
  12. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

This year im renting a 40' sea container, $90 a month, I tarped it last year, but like others said, pulling off the cover with 4" is a pain
  13. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

You can buy those containers relatively cheap. Check out websites like machinery trader and auctiontime. They pop up on there every so often.