1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

store salt and shovel it in a tailgate spreader?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by sailinstud420, Nov 5, 2007.

1. sailinstud420

sailinstud420 Junior Member

just thinking out loud here and wondered if anyone has tried this or has any thoughts on this. hear me out...

I was thinking about running a tailgate spreader this winter, I don't have alot of salting to do but when I do I was thinking how much of pain loading salt by the bag is. Not to mention what little money is left for profit by the time you buy the stuff (by the bag!!) and charge them the going rate to spread it.

What if I were to build some type of box with a lid and were able to buy bulk salt (for cheaper then by the bag) out of a hopper and then hand shovel it into the tailgate spreader?

The box would keep things dry so it won't clump up, and with a lid on it I still have a flat surface to work out of my truck with (I need it for other things in the winter). I think the box would be about 1.5' tall and almost the length of the entire bed. Do you think this would be a good way to actually make messing around with a tailgate spreader worth it?
  2. daplowman

daplowman Member

That is how I did it when I started. Didn't build a box either, just tarped it off well. Worked great. I gought a new truck with no bedliner, so I told the wife I had to get a V-box.( she bought it)lol
  3. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

CET told me he uses Rubber Mate bins. I have also seen guys use a whole bunch of 5 gallon pails. Imo shovelling is better then bags.
  4. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

The easiest way to load a tailgate is with bags. Slide em off the skid, up on the tailgate/hopper, line em up, slice em, dumpem. Only the last bags on the skid are a pain.
    Shoveling is okay till the pile starts going down....
    Alot of tailgaters dont handle bulk well at all. If this is you intention, get a 2 stage or a vibrator at least.
  5. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

I have seen a few guys around me that use bulk salt in their tg. spreaders. My buddy used to work for a guy that tried it and he said it was a pain. If the salt was wet it wouldn't flow( they had a vibrator) and got hard. He said they would put a tarp down in the truck and then get a yard or so from the supplier when it snowed. He said you spent twice as much time out of the truck shoveling then when he used bags. For me I use bags it is easy I can get them pretty cheap if I drive up to flint mi. and about $ 30 more per pallet if I drive towards detroit. If you can get a good deal per pallet I'd say go with the bags. I did see one funny thing last winter. A guy had a crew cab dually ram( late model diesel) pulling a 6x10 landscape trailer. He mounted a western pro flow salter on the back of the trailer and had a scoop of salt it the front of the trailer!!! I think I lost an hour of work that morning laughing so hard!!! I want to see him back that down the loading dock!!! What ever you choose good luck this winter!!!

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

I like 5 gallon pails and if you get the right bin to store the bulk salt in its pretty easy to fill them up. I use the 5 gallon pails 3/4 full to grab and spread on sidewalks.
    (in you case grab one fill it up and dump a few in the hopper and take some with you also)

What I do at one location is I dropped off an old freezer.. I know laugh away! but it is behind the building, all we do is load up our tornado with salt, take the spinner off and sling it into the freezer, then leave about 5 - 5 gallon pails at the site. When I go do that site I just head over to the freezer, flip the lid, scoup out 3/4 full pails, put them in the truck and drive over to the sidewalks and start spreading. At this site I spread salt/sand but salt the walkways by hand. So it works well.

My problem is some sites want sand/salt and some want straight salt and if we dont plan it right we have to load and unload.

Shoveling is fast but when you are throwing it up into something you get tired. Easier to take and pail scoop and pass it up.
  7. wahlturfcare

wahlturfcare Senior Member

i have a buyers tailgate one that uses bulk sand or salt. I put the salt that are in bags wrapped in a tarp and the sand wrapped inaother tarp and shovel the sand when needed. The salt always got damp in containers for some reason and it took longer to load it.
  8. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

Man some of you guys are really affraid of the "Dreaded Bag O' Salt" aren't you. lol

Granted it's a pain anyhow, and I cant wait till I can get a vbox eventually but dropping ten bags into the things not that bad. Like Tman said. Off the skid on the gate with some overhang, slice and empty. The pain is all the bags, but they go in the dumpsters....

Of course I am used to shuffeling my share of fifty lb bags since mostly I fertilize lawns anyhow. But loading bulk is just as much a hassle and if its wet.....forget it.

My life will be easier when I get a 1 ton and a v box or under tailgate.
  9. sailinstud420

sailinstud420 Junior Member

its not the bags that bother me, its the cost of bags vs bulk...
  10. Kason & Riley

Kason & Riley Senior Member

What about 2000 lbs super sacks of salt. It about the same price as bulk .
  11. 3311

3311 Senior Member

Used tailgate spreaders for 5 years and always used bags. Bulk salt gets wet and heavy if you are plowing in a storm.Stack and slice is they way to go untill you can get a V