1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

storbe light issues

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by snoluvr, Nov 13, 2004.

1. snoluvr

snoluvr Senior Member
    from RI

anyone use a hide-away strobe system with problems??
    We woke up at 5 this morning to a few inches--plowable!!!
    After a while of plowing the real heavy stuff, the strboes stopped working.
    I have plow,heater,backup lights, spreader, all on 1 battery...could this be the problem?
    Anyone suggest another battery? or maybe a larger one??
    thanks

2. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

I have two batterys and a HD alt from the factory and have not had a problem,just bought a LED mini bar can't wait to hook that up.

Regards Mike

3. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

Did just the strobes quit?? Did they start working again??? I have the same system as you & never had any problems. More info??:confused:

4. snoluvr

snoluvr Senior Member
    from RI

I had the strobes on for a few hours..The lighted switch staye dlit, but the lights themselves shut down. The snow was heavy, so I am sure the battery was working overtime..Nova says under 10 volts the power supply shuts itself off. I had shut down all accessories and had the truck running for about 40 minutes, and when I got back in, turned the switch, they worked!
    Hope it doesnt mean I need another battery..I think the alternator is just not big enough.

5. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

I would get another battery. I have two battery's in my truck. My plow runs to one battery, and my Lightbar and Leds run to the other battery. I feel a little more comfertable with two battery's. How many amps does your strobe system draw?

6. gpin

gpin Senior Member

If you don't have room for a 2nd battery, try a deep cycle battery.

7. massbowtie

massbowtie Member

check for moisture

if the system was installed without using a weather tite connector on the wiring i bet something got wet.when any wires get wet the power supply will shut down.i use regular amp type connectors but silicone the whole thing so they dont get any moisture in them.i would check this before i bought a battery.good luck

8. pbeering

pbeering Senior Member

Shut everything off and allow it to sit for a while. A 20,000 volt blast from the power supply will be about like getting zapped by a Taser.

You probably have moisture in the connections. Pull them apart, dry them and fill the outside voids with clear silicone, then reconnect them. It is also a good idea to fill the parts that mate with dielectric grease (spark plug boot grease)to keep them dry.

Check the fuses.

Where is the power supply mounted? You should be able to hear it whistle while it does it's thing. Be sure it is inside (not under the hood unless it is specifically rated for that location. It should have a seperate ground and power line in addition to the trigger wire(s).

9. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

I am running one battery with my plow,western pro flo spreader and strobe light on the roof. Plan on getting led wic 3's soon for the rear, mounted in my toolbox.I noticed a decent draw when i have everything running along with the heat and headlights.I was considering replacing my battery with a OPTIMA Yellow Top Battery.Would this help or is it a waste of money?

10. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

This is very true. I had the same issues with my strobes and as soon as I weatherproofed everything I had no further problems. If you don't want to spend the $ for weatherproof connectors than just load up all the connections with silicone and all will be well.