1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

storage units

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Joshjeepcj7, Mar 30, 2007.

1. Joshjeepcj7

Joshjeepcj7 Member

anyone plow self storage units i am going to start plowing one next winter i was wondering if it was a pain to get all the snow away from all the doors

2. clncut

clncut PlowSite.com Addict

I plowed some storage units for the first time this year. Plowing them was not hard, running out of room to place snow did start to become a problem. As far as keeping snow away from the doors, make your first pass along along the doors with your blade angled toward the center. You will not be able to get all the snow away from the door unless your shoveling.

Someone here made mention to try net to get to much snow upon the doors as they may buckle since they are fairly thin.

John

3. Joshjeepcj7

Joshjeepcj7 Member

re

yeah that what i figured i will probaly have someone there shoveling to get the snow right next to the doors

4. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

we rent one downtown for all of our sidewalk equiptment and it would be tough to plow because it steps down about a foot every two units. usually they just let it melt.........

5. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

We've been plowing storage units for 2 years now and like it. I don't worry about getting too close to the doors of the units, in fact the contract from the storage units to the consumer states that the snow will be cleared about 24 inches from the doors and the rest is up to the consumer to clear. We also had a hard time with finding space to put the snow, Makes sure that you have a loader aval. and auth. to stack the snow or remove it if need be

6. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

You are going to need a plow with wings or a skidloader with a protech or 2 yard snow bucket. Since the long narrow alleys are a pain to push. Since all the snow has to go to the end of the unit. So you need to be able to carry the snow. Pretty much plow to the center. Then push it to the end. I try to stay very far away from storage units since they are such a pain.

7. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L Senior Member

No one around here gets that close to the doors. A friend did one that I helped with a few times, it was a piece of cake.
    side note. I saw the coolest set-up at a storage unit. The manager lived there, took the space of 4 units. Office in front half of one unit, bath in the rest. Kitchen, bedroom, & livingroom a unit each. Even a garage if a unit isn't rented. LOL

8. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

Must have felt like a sardine. I remember seeing a thread on here a few years ago. Guys would run two trucks with 8' plows together to form a V. Could be pretty handy for clearing out a large buch of snow and then go back in for the cleanup.