1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Storage Units..='s Help

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ford6.9, Oct 7, 2008.

1. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

I have plowed small and large driveways, parking lots and private roads. Pretty much all the normal stuff a small landscaping business does. But never a storage unit. Any Advice for what to watch out for common issues? I know space is limited to stack snow (semi worried about that) A little nervous about having more than one truck in this maze, I can just see it now two trucks rear ending each other at 20mph (were safe tho no worries xysport ) I know theres going to be a lot of refreezing from the drive areas being so shaded. I guess what I am looking for is any words of wisdom from anyone that has aced plowing areas such as this. Tight and restricting as to where snow can be put. Different methods you have found to be good and so on. I think i have the price where it should be but that may change if any info comes around that may hint to increased time. Thanks to all
  2. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Get a Power Plow, or a set of Mega Wings for a straight blade, a set of wings on a v would work as well.
    Why would you need 2 trucks ? Is the site that large ?
  3. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

I just turned down someone who called for a quote on some storage units around here. Quite a large one 2!
    No friggin' way U can pay me enough!
    Its a secured facility which means U have to punch a keypad and let yourself in.
    I'm sure the automatic gate would have to be kept very clean, would be problematic.
    Long pushes where you have to move ALL the snow to one end, once U get to the end there's not alot of room to go with it except to the corners, so now we can move the snow again.
    ya got all those garage doors that are just waiting for a chunk of ice/snow to roll off the blade and dent/buckle one in!:realmad:
    The one I looked at had that aluminum wought iron look alike fencing all the way around which is another laiblility:mad:
    Like I said, no friggin' way, unless U have a motive to self defeat:mad:
  4. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

yeah advice, unless they are paying REALLY TOP DOLLAR, and i mean way up there.... i wouldnt do it at all. i know the money seems nice, and who hates to turn down business... but storage units normally are jus ta big head ake.... space is a problem , turning the truck around is hard, its hard on the equiptment, you need VERY alert drivers, ppl leave the ropes for the garge doors hanging out, which the plow will do a number on the door when it does... i will never again do any unless they pay VERY well. It realy beats up on your truck
  5. rblake

rblake Senior Member
    from dayton

we do two in town. they are a pain, but the pay good. need a set of wings or a v-plow. end up doing a lot of salting due to shade. not critical on time so we can get there after all of the offices are done.

they are very time consuming but we get alot of extra work from them: drifting snow from roofs, moving snow with bobcats.
  6. Ipushsnow

Ipushsnow Senior Member

Bobcat is very valuable piece of equipment. If it pays well enough lease one for the winter and leave it on site. If its big enough have one employee in that machine and do that lot only, that would free up your two trucks to do something else with that time. They key is, if its big enough and pays enough for you to lease the machine, pay your one employee, and still make a nice profit.
  7. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

The reason I wanted two trucks there at one time is, I would rather two people there and get it done quicker rather than have one person taking longer and getting a little annoyed or just set on cruise control, as I feel thats when problems happen. I was expecting it to be a lot more time consuming than your average open lot. Without a doubt Wings will be used and a V plow, I have both already. My idea was have on truck push the rows down to the center vein and then have another truck run the vein pushing off into the snow gates. I thought that would work well. I hadn't thought about large clumps of snow rolling off the blade and denting those doors. I felt the best way to keep from jamming up the doors would be to empty out the center of the drives then plow near the doors, leaving an empty blade and giving the snow somewhere to dump . Damn those things dent easy! lean on them and your replacing them. Even the ropes hadn't crossed my mind. I think what ill do is just add another 2 hours to the bid (one for each truck) and maybe price salt a little higher (salt will be spread almost weekly as things melt down, depending on weather) And give it a run. I am looking for the work and I am looking at the $ sometimes you have to deal with a headache or two to get to the end of the road. Most likely wont get it but heck i can bid it and be ready if it comes.

Thanks to all that have responded and ill be sure to keep in touch and let you guys know if I even bid and if I get it. Please to those that have recommended that I don't do it feel disrespected or feel as if i didn't listen to your opinions. I respect all but just wanted to get a feel for what i may not know. Sometimes you cant know what it is you don't know.

More opinions welcome
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2008
  8. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

I have access to a backhoe, And was thinking of Maybe renting a Mini wheel loader. Not one of those big ones but a smaller one 10-12 pusher most. I am trying to work out doing multiple locations for the same company. The only issue I run into is transporting equipment like that during a storm. Which I am not able to do. So trucks were looking the best route. We have 3 trucks plowing per storm and are able to get more Insured reliable trucks for a storm if we need be.
  9. elite1msmith

from chicago

the best thing is a skidsteer , a back hoe is a little big, and turns might be hard.... if they are willing to spend money on salt , thats a good thing, most dont at all
  10. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

Yeah, they are very aware of the fact theres a lot of remelt and of how shaded it is. Oh and they make you show proof of insurance and workers comp. Something makes me think they have had a slip and fall. Doesn't bother me as salt is per their request. and i have the insurance but it gives me hope that they may not just want the cheapest price??? Ahh I can hope at least! xysport
  11. elite1msmith

from chicago

like i said, they are VERY hard to work with , and you really will beat up on your truck... best of luck,
  12. red07gsxr

red07gsxr Senior Member
    from meriden

my buddy does one. its a pain to stack the snow and you ahve to punch the keypad, gets annoying inthe middle of a snow storm