1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

storage trailers for salt storage

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Mick76, Sep 19, 2009.

1. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Trying to figure out how may cu yard I can fit in a trailer ... its inside dia are 1173 cu ft... I thought I just divide by 9 but that gives me 130.... that cant be right...is it? or do i divide by 27?

Any input guys?

Thanks
    Mike

2. SGC08

SGC08 Member

27 cu ft per cu yard so divide by 27 = 43.44

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Yeah, divide by 27. Just remember that you cant use all of the front because the pile will slope down. You can get your 20 ton in there no problem.

4. hunting white

hunting white Junior Member

We used 40 Foot Sea cargo Containers and generally if it was well stacked where between 30 and 40 tons unless we had room for Bagged materials on one end or wanted the skid inside.

5. rs services

rs services Junior Member

are you guys talking about puting bulk salt in containers?

6. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

That's what they are talking about.:)

7. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

I would think that would be time consuming more then anything.

8. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I think some of these guys drop these containers on site. They have dry material when they need it without having to drive to the yard or supplier. Might not be that bad if you keep it full on your down time.:drinkup:

9. RepoMan207

from Maine

True. I suppose, an outdoor ramp with a skid steer and it wouldn't be so bad.

10. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

They put the box right on the ground. No ramp needed. Maybe a 2x4 to ease the edge, but thats it.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
  11. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I hope so. I was going on the thread title "Storage trailers for salt storage". If we're not, disregard my contents.

12. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Oh no we hand shovel all 40yards into ours :)

13. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Just so we are all on the same page, I was talking about shipping containers that sit on the ground. Maybe you are talking about transport trailers on wheels and you are putting skids of bagged salt in.

14. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Ive heard mixed feed back on them. Great for a season or two then the bottoms fall out of them i here. also great idea to store a bobcat in the front of one that way you can lock it up safly, But i here it rusts the sh!t out of your machine

15. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

If you are loading and unloading that container you are bound to spill some salt. I don't think I would want my skid sitting by the doors all winter.:cry:

16. RepoMan207

from Maine

Yeah right :rolleyes: :D