1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Storage Lockers

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Mitchellplowing, Nov 29, 2013.

1. Mitchellplowing

Mitchellplowing Junior Member
    from Ct

Hey guys,
    I'm trying to figure out how much to charge for snow plowing some storage lockers, they also want us to shovel In front of every locker. I got the job, but I'm trying to figure out how to charge for shoveling in front of each, I was thinking like hourly or by the locker. Like .50 per unit. It won't take me more than a hour to plow all of the lockers. My contract is on a scale, so I thought to do the same. Thanks for your help.
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

How many units? Shoveling suck,you better be at least a 100 bill for the hour
  3. Mitchellplowing

from Ct

There is like 150 units. It's broken up like the first job has 25 units, the second has like 50, the third is like a garage, and the forth is like 75. So like a total of like 150 units. How do u think I should approach this?
  4. MSsnowplowing

MSsnowplowing Senior Member

2 guys snowblowers blowing the snow out and you plowing it.

Your going to be clearing the front of them at storm end.

So scale it for amount of snow.

2-3 $75
    4-6 $150
    7-9 $225
    every 3 inches over 9 charge $100

Or match the exact amount of snow in your contract for plowing and start at $75
  5. Mitchellplowing

from Ct

Thanks for info and you have a great website. Just one last question, would you say the $75 scaling fee for clearing in front of garage doors is for all 150 units or per each of the job sites I described earlier. Appreciate your input.
  6. Snow Picasso

Snow Picasso Senior Member

Tons of drifting in storage lots plus windrow. 2" snow could leave 10" at the doors. Just something to think about. I would charge hourly with a minimum! Good Luck
  7. CMD

CMD Member
    from Maine

Scoops WORK well with lockers, better than blowers on most storms. Make your first pass angled away and the scoop man just pulls the cleanup where the plow can get . Vee Plows will save u alot as you are carrying all to the ends .
  8. MSsnowplowing

Based on 150 units depends on how they are laid out. Figure 75 an hour. If it takes longer say 2 hours it would be 150
  9. MSsnowplowing

Last year I did a storage unit and never windrowed snow into the doors plowing with the western Pro Plus.

If your doing that, your plowing it wrong.
    Yeah I know it is the easist thing to do but taking a little extra time and doing it right makes the client happy.

I picked up a nice contract this year because that is what the guy was doing last year into the cars parked.
    The manager got tired of having to go out and help people shovel out their cars so they could leave.

Side Note:
    the same storage place got a lower bid this year than me.
    But they liked my plowing and stuck with me even at the higher price.
  10. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

I wouldn't do an hourly rate unless I planed on spending a lot of time there w/ designated vehicle(s). And keep in mind...It's a storage facility, their pockets are only so deep, so is their budget.

A "V-plow" is obviously more efficient than a straight blade when doing this type of property. Pending the type of snow event and how much, a good back pack blower will clear a 2" powder snow almost as fast as you can walk, provided you minimize the snow rolling back into the units. Heavier snows, a good portable Toro snow blower will work great.

Myself, I'd have to consider the type of snow events that I can typically expect from that area, and develop a per service call figure. Also, would apply to return visits when having to clean up the drifts that develop from the snow that blew off the roof tops 3 days later.

I don't like the per unit idea because (with the wind tunnel effect), one side could be bare and the other side 2' or more against an entire row of doors. That would pay half the money, also potentially hard to invoice because it could always be disputed.

The figure should sound reasonable, but figure in the worst case scenario, as well as an average. What I think you will find is that if plowed efficiently, you will be a lot further ahead w/ a solid figure on most events. If an average or heavy event takes 3 hours, a partial or smaller event could take 1/2 to one hour...yet they both pay the same. The difference is your making money some days and are thinking that was good, other days your thinking, "wow that was easy, I almost feel guilty".