1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Storage facilities

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by tom5301, Oct 6, 2015.

1. tom5301

tom5301 Member

Can anybody's shine some light on doing storage facilities?price,best way to do them anything that would help?

2. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

V plow, skid steer. It will drift, hourly.

3. Ne1

Ne1 Senior Member

Have done a few in the past. The garage doors are the biggest issue. Typically, there very flimsy and of course your going to be responsible for anything that they think was caused by the plow. I would only do it if the trigger was 1" or 2" trigger. Also the places to stack the snow are very limited.

4. MSsnowplowing

MSsnowplowing Senior Member

Never AGAIN. Big Pita factor.

Always had double the amount of snow in the alleyways from the roof.

A 3 inch storm was 6 inches in the alleyways so make sure you factor that in your pricing.

And they wanted clean up close for all the units which meant I had to have my guys snow blowing them and shoveling and then pushing it with the V-plow, clean up was a 4 hour job there.

Skid steer helps if you don't have the space to put snow as they are usually enclosed with a fence and you can drop the snow over the fence if you have a skid steer.

So V-plow for easy plowing between the building, one or two guys snow blowing the unit doors and a skid steer if needed.

Good luck

5. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

I would rather plow the busiest gas station in town than plow a storage facility. Most around here do not want salt, no where at all to stack and so dam tight. And there always seem to be that one whack job that needs something from his locker in the middle of a storm and it is buried in the back so it takes him an hour to get to it.

6. MSsnowplowing

MSsnowplowing Senior Member

Middle of Nemo with over a foot and half of snow some knucklehead trying to get into the storage units while I am plowing.

The following year, the first 3 storms there was always the same car parked outside the door entrance to the inside units.
    Seems a lady was living in her unit she rented, she got kicked out after she complained about the plowing waking her up in the middle of the :sleeping: night.

7. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

It's not as bad as it sounds, just plow close to the door then when your blade fills with snow, pull away from doors , then back up and repeat. Easy, time consuming, but easy. Some storage places say it's the tenants problem right in front of the door also.

8. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

I wouldn't touch a storage unit again without a skid and Kage style plow. Break center of isles open with box, angle blade along doors to the center, then clean center again.

Like someone above said, you're pushing double because the roof snow ends up in the alleys.

I hate hourly properties. And I don't know if I'd do another storage unit site unless it was hourly with a minimum charge. No matter what they take 50% longer than you ever think they will.

9. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Won't do them, or gas stations. Want lots of service with little pay and no salt

10. brianbrich1

brianbrich1 PlowSite.com Addict

If I could ever be patient to load pics I'd show you pics of drifts at storage units that would make up your mind quickly to no.

11. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Did one for years and they're time consuming as hell. Best way i found to do them is start in the center of the alleyways and work your way towards the doors of the units all while trying to push everything to the middle and forward. A vee plow really shines at one of the places. Hope that helps

12. straightlinelan

straightlinelan Member

Pain in the ass. I do a couple. Would touch unless you got vplow or skidder. Nothing over 2" trigger, they will try and push you for a 4" a lot of times. Also salt is an issue. They like per app price so price high cause you need to melt packed snow and ice. They expect black top after salting and will not tolerate re-application charges.

My storage facilities don't require us to clean in front doors but we do get within 6" of them. If you must do a per push bid, double if not triple your rate or find a dumb cheap sub and hope he doesn't widen up.