1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Stopping rust

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by farmerkev, May 6, 2008.

1. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

I just bought a 1996 Chevy Cheyenne. Almost NO rust. Little bit on the bottom of the doors, but none on the back corners of the cab as is typical. I planned on sanding the door bottoms and doing some touch up paint. What can I do on cab corners to stop rust from starting?

Also, I want to get a few more years out of this truck, because it has MANY miles left in it. Whats the best way to undercoat the bottom of the truck? I have heard about coating it in tar, but not sure about effectiveness, price or how. Any info on what to do to the bottom?

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Two words: Fluid Film. :nod:

3. bike5200

bike5200 Senior Member
    from Ky

The cab corners of the truck, I would pull the interior trim and shoot some undercoating down into the cavities and do the same from under the truck. The good undercoating comes with a straw on the can so it can be sprayed into tight spots.
    For the bottom of the truck I would go to a auto paint store and buy an undercoat gun and then buy undercoating in gallon cans and do it your self.

4. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Totally agree, but I've sprayed trucks and tractors with every undercoating product available and nothing works as good as Fluid Film. Buy the gun and spray FF and you won't be dissappointed. I"ve sprayed almost 8 gallons of FF this year alone, trust me.:D

5. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

I think it will be the allmighty FF on the bottom. How much goes on, and how long will it last until I need to recoat?

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You dont need a ton of it, it covers very well when sprayed correctly. You can coat the entire underside of the truck as well as inside the doors and tailgate with a gallon can and still have a little left over.

A once a year application is about right in most cases. Any more often than that and your just wasting it. :)

7. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

So what do we do if our truck already has cancer?

Rockers, bottom of bed (mounting bars), inside rear bumper, bottom crease of the tailgate, seams of the bottom/back of bed, inside the bottom of the front fenders, and I think thats it.

8. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

you wouldnt use as much if you didnt shower with it.....:D

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The FF will still slow exisiting rust down a bunch Mark.

Won't fill in any holes though. :help:

10. bike5200

bike5200 Senior Member
    from Ky

Look into a Rust Converter. Goggle it. Then FF. My undercoating idea is not a big hit here.

11. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I googled it and it looks like it's worth trying sometime, Has anyone else tried this stuff? It would work good on your frame and then when your done FF it,

12. 1SicVic

1SicVic Junior Member

POR-15 stuff works great

13. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Is it safe to dunk an entire truck in this stuff?? :D

I'll have to look into it and then see if I have time to rip my truck apart.

14. bike5200

bike5200 Senior Member
    from Ky

I used NAPA'S rust converter on my dump truck this fall. Worked pretty good, still watching to see how things go. The rust was pretty bad on my truck.

15. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

If I buy a gallon of FF, how do I apply it, any old sprayer? Whats the best time to apply? Fall Id assume.

16. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

An undercoating gun will do the job.

Some guys also use a Wagner power painter as well but it usually needs to be thinned down in most cases to spray effectively.

Anytime is a good time to apply it. But anytime before the winter season is good.