1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Stopping in to see potinitial customers

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by doomxz670, Dec 11, 2013.

1. doomxz670

doomxz670 Junior Member
    from 45459

We've had our 2nd snow fall of over 3 inches this week which this early in December is unusual, after plowing my accounts today I noticed once everyone had finished there's still a hand Full of gas stations and such that were never touched during either snow fall it appears(no piles) is it worth the time to stop and see them or is that just a waste?

2. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

You can, but the few times ive done it, it was a waste. Seems gas stations and convenience stores, particularly 7-11 dont care and ive seen thrm offer coffee etc to anyone who will plow it when someone with a plow stops in

3. poopdeckpappy

poopdeckpappy Member
    from KC,KS

Iv'e done that with some success. One thing to consider though is why hasn't this person signed? More often than not, it's because that person is cheap and doesn't understand that if the city plows make snow banks at your entrances, it's unsafe or scary for potential customers to pull in. So in essence they are losing money by not spending. Ignorance is definitely not in short supply now or ever.

4. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

^^ is true. But I will stop in, maybe the guy they hired is crap, worth stopping in to drop a card

5. ajman21

ajman21 Senior Member

I have had some success at this. What I do is, if possible, I park right in front of the doors with the plow really on the truck. Then I go in and buy a coffee. I get asked for a price to push the lot bout 1/2 the time. I've sold 1 this year and 2 couple years back so not bad I guess.

6. Meezer

Meezer Senior Member
    from Indiana

I'm always passing out cards whenever I can. However, I'm not interested in plowing gas stations.

7. Chineau

Chineau Senior Member

It well worth the time if you are trying to grow a business every contact is one more step to your success, you may not get it this year but next year yes. Do everything you can to promote your self and your business. A word to the wise gas station/convenice stores are a pain, it is like they are stupid magnets, charge to make it worth the troubles.

8. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I did a 24 hour Sunoco station/Wink's convenience store/Subway for two years, big pain in the ass. They didn't want salt but would complain if there was snow left behind (asphalt was wavy and the plow would straddle the high points). Would whine if you lifted the plow over the tank fill caps and leave snow behind, would complain if you plowed over them and took the lids off with the snow. Told me I should shovel that end of the lot by hand, I said sure double the price, so they would send out the manager or employee to shovel it... then I almost backed over the manager in the dark (his reflective orange gloves are what saved his dumb ass) because he walked behind the truck to start shovelling while I was backing up... to top it off they wanted a manager signature every time I was there.... FAR too much hassle with all that alone, let alone the customers that drive and walk like lemmings...

I won't plow gas stations any more because of that place... No thanks.