1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Stop Salting so much (Rant)

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by zabMasonry, Dec 15, 2008.

1. zabMasonry

zabMasonry Senior Member
    from vt

I don't deal with salt in my work. If i use anything its sand but usually i just leave it clear of snow.

But It bugs the living bejesus out of me when people salt during a snow storm I was on my college campus during the last storm and rather then waiting for the end of the storm they salted in the morning when we were still to get another 2-4" of white stuff. This meant that rather then roads and walkways having a couple of inches of snow on them, they had a couple of inches of slop, thats just as slippery as snow, but also pulls you around and rots out your rig. I really wish that folks would quit spreading salt during the storm (unless its icing thats a different issue) and just wait until the end of the storm to melt off what ever is left. Rather then spending tons of money on salt during the storm, just use it sparingly at the end. I know that folks are worried about liability, but its A SNOW STORM not palm beech if the folks can deal with it they should move south.

sorry for the rant. just needed to get it out. i realize this may be unpopular thats ok.
  2. mike33087

mike33087 Senior Member

yea but spreading salt the way they did helps prevent the 2-4 " from packing into the pavement which takes longer to melt. slush is easy to scrape up
  3. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

you gotta keep a little layer of slush between the pavement and the snow, it makes it easier to clear
  4. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

I'm like the Trix cereal rabbit...I'm just cuckoo for salt applications: xysportpurplebou:bluebouncxysport
  5. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Everything on a campus is about liability, if it costs an extra 1k to throw down extra salt instead of a lawsuit, they'll pick the extra salt everytime. Trust me PSU leaves piles of salt and sand laying in the lots after a snow....I'm one of the ones who has to clean it up after it gets tracked into the building.
  6. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

That's well said zabMasonry. I couldn't agree with you more about the overkill of salt and how much people worry about liability. Really, we live in a snow region. I rarely salt till it stops snowing and even them I use a sand salt mix and try to use the minimum needed.
  7. BigLou80

BigLou80 Senior Member

Gota argee with ya. The state of mass is insane with their salt usage I bet they could save a billion dollars a year with a sensible salt policy. I was taking a break from plowing a shopping plaza I used to do, I watched one tri axle come by plow down and salt comming out the back end, following behind him was another tri axle with plow down and salt spereader on there were a total of 4 truck in this proccession 3 of which were plowing up the salt left by the truck in front of it.

When I did shopping centers we plowed and shoveled with the storm, I was assigned with a loader to take care of the place, we never had an issue with all the cars packing down the snow. The salt truck never arrived untill after the storm to burn off what was left, our goal was dry by the next day.

While salt may help in snow removal depending on the type of stom especially if applied before the start of the storm Its not an absolute necessity nor is it needed to continue to salt during the storm

8. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Here's what you guys need to understand a college campus is an entirely different animal from a shopping mall. The campus I'm on has 5k+ students, staff and faculty all moving around from 7am-9pm in that time every parking space is full when classes change it's mass chaos with people and vehicles everywhere. Most of the time everything is plowed by 7am then main pathways are plowed when needed if possible, dumping salt after the main plow in the morning is the easiest way to keep everything clear as long as possible.
  9. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

What he said.

It's called anti-icing or pretreating. Similar to preplowing, but different.
  10. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

:eek: lmao :D
  11. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

I take it the orginal poster of this thread hasn't been sued before......assuming that is the case, to anwser your questions lawyers are the reason that happens.
  12. dfdsuperduty

dfdsuperduty Senior Member

:gunsfiring::gunsfiring: the lawyers.... but i have to agree they have made the practices of this industry what they are.ussmileyflagussmileyflag
  13. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

Has anyone here had their insurance company pay out for a "slip and fall"?
  14. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member

I thought you guys are in the business of snow and ice removal? I know I am. The more I plow and salt the better, it is how I make a living. I would never complain about to much of either. Thats like the guys that cut grass in the summer saying the grass is growing to fast.
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2008
  15. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

16. zabMasonry

zabMasonry Senior Member
    from vt

I've never been sued. I've never heard of anybody being sued in a case that didn't include GROSS negligence (IE: not plowing, not salting when their is definite ice on the ground. ect. ) This is vermont, and people are pretty calm around here and that may be different.

I get what you are saying, at my school very few people go between classes in a vehicle. I also get what folks are saying about pre salting, but I generally take the opinion of stay with the storm, then salt at the end.

I live in the middle of nowhere in a town that does not even salt their paved roads, I really don't have a problem with compacted snow on the roads. In fact january and february are the best roads in my town, everything is as smooth as a baby's a$$.

It just yanks my chain when we hear about the university being 20 million short, but see them spreading salt like its candy to small children at the 4th of july parade. I saw, honest to god, a truck spreading salt on salt on 3" slush, We got plows for a reason - so that we don't have to pay to use salt to melt the snow away - its just ridiculous. I'm going to put a complaint in.
  17. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member

Zab, I am not sure that plowing is any cheaper than using salt. Salting is much faster. Plowing takes longer, and very hard to push snow to the snow bank with people and cars in the way. The only thing that I will do during the day at any parking lot that I do is salt, just to hard to plow. The collage has lots of money, all they have to do is raise your tuition.
  18. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

No but we keep deatailed site records and do lot check 7 days a week, sometimes twice /day, so if we do have a problem when we send our info in most cases are dropped immediately. It's very easy for you to say I'm using to much salt, but your in a different area and you might not do the same type of places I do. If you just leave the snow and don't show you did anything your screwed. JMO Oh and I agree with what Mark and Crete said. BTW I preplow in my sleep all the time.:D
  19. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

I have a lot that is slick blacktop going downhill pretty steep. The semi's coming in have to pull in and turn around at the bottom and then 3 point backing into the dock. Leaving they must pull their load back up the slick incline and make it without hitting anything.

Did I mention there is a row of cars on both sides of the lot making this a tunnel like affect? The trucks have one shot at making their turn around and back into the dock or it is a cluster fudge.

I salt that lane before, during and after every storm.
  20. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

ever hear of zero tollerance? Also do you know how much more salt is required to melt down hardpack and ice buildup ? We do post offices and banks along with other high traffic areas and if we didnt pre salt then we would have to keep a truck on every lot all during the storm. By pre salting and salting as we plow it keeps the ice and snow from builing up on the surface thereby reducing the extra labor and equipment and materials needed to keep the surfaces in acceptlable and up to our and the contracts standards.That being said it is also a substancial money maker for us.