1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Stop rust with a 12volt box??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DAFFMOBILEWASH, Nov 19, 2009.

1. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Has anyone seen those electricial boxes which change the polarity of the vehicle which in then stop rust formation on there vehicles. Can remember the actual name of them but they were polpular here at the new car lots for some time. So has anyone used or had a box instaled on a vehicle??? I think they were made by Crown or something like that.

Want to oil spray my truck but hate the mess on the underside. Looking for options

2. mcfly89

mcfly89 Senior Member

it doesnt change the polarity of the trucks electrical system, its called a sacrificial anode. last i checked jc whitney still sold them.

3. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Fluid film it!

4. fourthcoastcont

fourthcoastcont Junior Member

Anode's are used to prevent corrosion on ug piping, ug propane tank, and even in every tank type water heater so why not cars and trucks too????????????? sounds like a great idea

5. Snowbully

Snowbully Junior Member

Years ago I worked for a guy who had them on every car he owned. All his cars were exceptionally clean, so when I could finally afford to, I picked up 2 sets and ran them for years on my truck and car. I think they helped, but the truck (95 s10 ext zr2) did get some rear cab surface rust(after 9years), I had a buddy fix. I did buy them with the intention of transferring the units whenever I upgraded to newer vehicles. So now that I did upgrade, they are both sitting in a box somewhere collecting dust....haha! I never reinstalled them on the new cars. Overall, I think they are helpful, but it really depends on the environment, amount of salt exposure, and how often the body is waxed and kept clean.

6. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

What does one of these things cost?

7. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I'm also curious about these boxes. Triple put one on his new truck, so we'll have to wait and see. Anyone have any long term use with one?

8. Mike N

Mike N Senior Member

9. secret_weapon

secret_weapon Senior Member

I used to install these when I worked at GM dealer. I think they are a load of crap! I remember a few customers wanting them transferd to another car.

There was rust under the anode! Just a battery draining scam:laughing:

Rust Evader was the brand I installed. iirc from the directions, you sand the paint off to bare metal and put on anode. I took one of these apart that a customer didn't want back. There was nothing electrical touching the bare metal. The wires inside weren't even stripped back. It was this little black box with an LED that flashed to make you think it was working.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2009
  10. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

there is merit here, although i don't know a lot about the chemistry of it, what i do know is that metal tanks in the ground get something similar to keep them from rotting out. So i asked my brother (who has a bio chem degree) and he says it is legit, but the boxes have to be made out of the right kind of materials

11. Palmeron18

Palmeron18 Junior Member

They use somthing similar on naval ships. run current thru the hull to prevent corrossion and eat away zincs mounted to the hull instead of the hull itself. the coast guard installs zincs on the hull transom so whatever would cause corrosions eats the zincs instead, but unfortunately anything above the waterline is still unprotected. guess youd just have to park your truck in a pool and run a snorkel, should be fine.

12. timberjack

timberjack Member

Do you mean the "Counteract" rust control gadget Canadian Tire seems to push all fall and winter?

A google search doesn't seem to provide much in the way of (pardon the pun) positive info.