1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Stop rear defroster from turning off?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by GripTruk, Jan 5, 2006.

1. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

Does anyone know a trick with the relay or something to make the rear defroster stay on instead of turning off automatically after 10 minutes (or however long it is)?
    I don't if it's a timed relay and you can replace it with a standard relay or something.

This is on a 1997 tahoe, I'm sure it might be different for later models.
    I don't know if there's anything terrible about keeping the rear defogger on for an extended time but i wind up having to keep turning it on over and over.

I've searched around but haven't come up with much besides other people complaining about the same thing.

I'm sure people have done this but I can't find it.

Thanks in advance....

-Jer

2. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I think it may overheat the wiring if it was one too long without a break. But then again maybe not. If you do modify it, somehow keep and eye on the temp of the wires.

3. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

well, i certainly don't want to have an electrical fire but my brothers subaru has a on/off style switch on the rear defogger and you can keep it on all the time without issue, so i hope it wouldn't be a problem.

4. mmwb

mmwb Senior Member
    from wyoming

5. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

had a customer with an acura the rear defog relay stuck overheated
    the rear glass and blew out the rear window

john

6. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Yes... I am saying you could have a fire, most likely blow a fuse, burn out the defroster element in the glass or it could work fine. I'm saying if you modify it from the way it was originally designed you can cause damage to one of the components. just be careful and cover all you bases, thats all.
    as for the wires burn out and becoming useless.. if that happens you'll be smelling something and be looking for something burning!