1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Stolen Plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by shep2004, Dec 11, 2004.

1. shep2004

shep2004 Junior Member
    from Indiana

A good friend of mine recently had his pump and lights stolen off his western uni-mount but they left the plow there. Then this past week they came back and stole the rest. He found it sitting at a local body shop but cannot prove that is his. My question is do they cab controls serial # match up to the pumps #. My guess would be that the pump and lights are going to appear on the plow very soon. Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks Again
  2. Cutting Edge Kid

Cutting Edge Kid Senior Member

Does he have any pictures of the plow that can show some type of identification marks in any inconspicuous places? If so, make that known to the police!
  3. avalancheplow

avalancheplow Senior Member

If he knows it his then go steel it back. :drinkup:
  4. rclay11541

rclay11541 Member

Does he have the recipt from when he bought the plow? If he does it ushally has the serial number of the plow on it. Call western and find out where they stamp thier serial numbers. Even if the thief has sanded the serials down to bear metal the cops can bring the nubmers out. Had a dirt bike stolen and the guy grinded down ther serial numbers WAY down. They used some kind of acid etching and brought out the serial numbers.
  5. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

I think you are overlooking the fact if it is the same model and style they (the ones that have it now) need to be able to fully account for its purchase if item is in question. Are police involved with this one?
  6. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Get the police involved. If it turns out that plow is not yours then no harm done. But don't wait and give them a chance to sell it or hide it somewhere.
  7. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

If it were me and I knew absulatly sure it was mine then I'd put my logo, ssn, phone#, or some other ID on it when no one was watching. Then aproch the body shop owner and ask who's plow it was. Then go from there.
  8. Ole JIM

Ole JIM Senior Member

DICS & Every-ONE!

We Plow people are at Times? near a Welder! & I*M NOT Attempting to be a Smart ASS! I learned many yrs AGO! too Ask? a Welder YOU SEE Welding! Drive UP! & Ask HIM to WELD some WAY? of Identifying YOURS!--I Weld--Ole JIM-- on My Cutting Edge--a Plow Brace--"A'frame--& Head Gear! & push lates & I Stamp Ole JIM On my Cyls--PUMP & Valve Body!--All in Plain SIGHT!--here Possition Is 99 % of the LAW! & Proof of Ownership DONO? on a Plow?-- But--IF? I could Prove It was MINE!--I*D Press Charges! thats for SURE!--YOU sure have Some Great Freinds & Neighbors! I Thnk? I would have Done Some-Thing?? after I Noticed the Lights Missing!--Moved IT to a SECURE AREA!--Blocked It IN some Way?--as It had to be 3 or 4 Guys? to Lift IT & Lug it OFF!--& LOAD IT!--Whats this WORLD Comming too? I DONO? but If the Plows Out-Side? I Think? I*D just Drive Over There! w/ my Pick-up & Drive Off w/ IT! GEE!-- I can*t IMAGINE?? Any One? w/BALLS enough to Steal a Plow!--in Your Yard I Assume?--SORRY! Guys! but just THINKING about IT--makes ME Mad as HELL!--Ole JIM--
  9. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Jim, I must say that you have a very "unique" way of posting on here.
  10. RON66106

RON66106 Member

ONE SMART COOKIE i've been doing that for years. Although I have my own welder. Still Good advice.
  11. shep2004

shep2004 Junior Member
    from Indiana

Guys the police are involved but they claim you have to be able to prove it. He contacted police when he saw it, but they did nothing, and to get somebody to investigate around Boone County is a joke. I will be letting him know about some of your suggestions and hopefully we can get it back as we are forcasted for this coming tuesday.

Thanks Again,
  12. Wolfies L&L

Wolfies L&L Member

After deciphering your post Jim :eek: I think its a great idea!

13. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

I weld a symbol on bottom of plow and A frame that is kinda hidden because you cannot coverup a weld very good at all nor are you likely to look for one down there either. .
  14. RODJ

RODJ Member
    from MD

New Meyer Plow

15. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

No too much stress on the front end to leave the plow up when its on the truck. If you must leave the plow outside when its not on your truck, do your best to hide it. Iam forced to leave one of the plows outside now that i have 2. I usually keep the 7 footer in the garage as it is much lighter and easier to carry away if you wanted to, 2 guys could probley do it. Park the truck in front of the plow so you cant get at it. As far as parked around town with the plow attached, not much you can do that i know of to prevent pump theft. If it happens oh well, its unlikely, its not too big of a problem, at least not around here.
  16. selser420

selser420 Member

I know some guys that use the locking pins(like on reciever hitches) on the pumps and A-frames. After the co. I drive for had a Boss 9'2" stolen off of a truck, someone suggested a bit of weld on the end of the pin to make it unremovable unless you grind off the weld. Kind of a pain in the a$$, but if its a truck you leave the blade on all winter..... We now have a crazy parking scheme that guarantees the blades on all 9 trucks are blocked/parked in at the yard.
  17. 810formy2500

810formy2500 Junior Member

Check the Warranty

If he bought it new, have him check his paperwork. I know when I bought my Blizzard new, they put the serial number from the blade on the warranty paperwork.
  18. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I can identify my plow by the truly ugly welding I have done on it!
    I stick welded some edge guards on the lower outer edges and a few rust out patch's. I just welded on new outer ribs Sunday,you will not find many plows with a continuous weld on the ribs.As far as the pump goes if they can get past the tack welds on the bolts they can have the pump.