1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Stolen Plow Truck / Loader

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PerfiCut Inc., Dec 13, 2011.

1. PerfiCut Inc.

PerfiCut Inc. Senior Member
    from Eastern

Just a reminder that times are hard for a lot of people out there and unfortunately the world is full of people who try to take advantage of others. Don't leave your equipment on the job site unattended. If you have to, look into getting some type gps tracking system for it.

We had a fully loaded F550, with a brand new western wideout, and a v box spreader stolen from us in a matter of 6 hours. The crews finished up an evening of plowing, and were going back in the AM to touch up any icy patches only to find the truck had been stolen. And yes, it was locked, and hidden.

Never the less... this was the final spark that forced us to sign up for a gps tracking system. There are tons to chose from, and I am trying to sell any one over the other, but we chose Fleet Matics. Hardware is free, installation is free, and you pay a small piece of mind each month for the security of our equipment.

Their system does much more and we use it everyday to verify crew assignments, stops, services, and wasted time. I wont get into what all it does, but I will recommend you check them out if you are interested.

One feature that I particularly like is the alerts. Yo can set up notification alerts (ie" emails, texts) to alert you when just about anyhting happens. Vehicle starts, vehicle moves, vehicle exits or enters a particular area, vehicle travels faster than xx mph or idles for longer than xx minutes. It has a ton of features.

I feel much more confortable now knowing our equipment is secure and should anyone feel the need to help themsleves, I will know about it immediately. The great thing is there is an app for your smart phone so I have immediate access to every vehicles exact location and travel history.

Just a reminder... times are hard, so protect what you have worked for.
  2. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

Post photos and tell us what state you're in so we can look out for it.

Anyway, that really stinks. :(
  3. TPC Services

TPC Services Senior Member

Friend of mine had his Myers tailgate spreader stolen last week. the truck was back up tothe garage even. it was the larger myers that hold like 900lbs so it wasn't light to take off and haul away. it sucks but thats what insurance is for. ya it sucks that now you have to deal with having to get a new truck and get it set up my it is a piece of mind to have it.
  4. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

Sorry to hear that. We have had things stolen over the years as well. Once they even picked up a bobcat bucket! Those are not light. Just shows that those a$$holes will do anything.
  5. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

What loader was stolen? Can you get the GPS for only the winter months?
  6. BMB Plowing

BMB Plowing Senior Member

Yeah a company I worked for a couple years ago had a similar security/gps system installed in their trucks....it will even tell you if the driver is not wearing their seatbelt or uses turn signals when turning...I know from experience. I was driving down the road a couple miles from the shop, my phone rang, it was my boss asking me why I wasn't buckled, and didn't use my turn signal on the last turn I made...I was driving down a back road with no traffic....and why I answered my phone while driving....needless to say I don't work for them anymore.
  7. xtreem3d

PS...I assume to know start up ect they have to splice into the starting system...I haven't been through the whole PDF file yet but can it go on machinery?
  8. havenlax18

havenlax18 Senior Member

Very interested in this, had a whole bobcat, trailor, and truck stolen last winter and a zero turn this spring. Please post info. I would like to get this installed on my bobcats.
  9. HeartlandOKC

HeartlandOKC Member

They are definitely worth it. I had an F350 dump and a trailer full of equipment stolen from my shop. Thief broke into the shop then rammed the gate around my shop. With the GPS installed on the truck, I knew exactly where the truck was and the track they had taken. Unfortunately, they switched the trailer to another truck and abandoned my truck but the trailer was found two days later with most of the equipment still on it.

The units can pay for themselves pretty quick.
  10. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

I imagine it just plugs into the OBDII port.
  11. onsight

onsight Senior Member

Yes they can go onto equipment. They don't give as much info though, but enough to track and find your machine. On trucks, it all depends on what info you want as to how they are hooked up.
  12. xtreem3d

Thanks...Can you subscribe just for winter? Any ballpark idea of cost? website wants you to contact them,
  13. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

unfortunately it is that time of the year again. sorry for your loss.
  14. Mdwstsnow512

Mdwstsnow512 Senior Member

whats a system like this cost, roughly

15. charlefoxtrtot

charlefoxtrtot Member
    from MD

Sounds like a decent system

How much is the monitoring fee?
  16. todddude

todddude Junior Member

I just had them installed in our trucks & loaders. 10 units from AT&T, our cell phone provider cost $25.00ea per month approximately. Too much info supplied to list on this post but check out Telenav.com, I think that it, or Telenav Trackers . We can cancel anytime, and start up again. No contract, no equipment fee, just another cell number on our contract. They are little boxes smaller than a phone & they mount with a magnet almost anywhere. Hard wire or cig plug for power. unpluged the transmit 3 days. Probably very similar to most other i assume.
  17. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

Google "Blackline GPS". They had a product called the "Snitch" which is discontinued but repaced by "Entourage". The hardware I believe sells for a couple hundred bucks and the yearly subscription is $180 per year.
  18. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

most of these systems do work well.. problem is, most of us dont own one truck or piece of equipment :/ That said... we were looking at the following costs for just some of our equipment..

4 Fleet locate boxes for 4 of the trucks
    4 Fleet locates for 4 machines left onsite for December-February avg in NJ for snow
    2 for trailers

10x $179ea plus an install of approximately $75-150each
    Monthly was $25ea i think?

units 10x $179 $1,790.00
    install 10x $100 avg assume $1000
    monthly costs 10x $25 $250/per month fee

Total for first year $5,790
    Total for second year $3,000

Oh your billed your states "ours is 7% in NJ" sales tax on the install, unit cost and monthly bills too on top of that!

Its easier to fire someone you think is even doing something wrong that you NEED to monitor them or just try to lock your equipment up better. Thats no solution for tracking but i just cant pay so much up front plus a monthly bill like that. If it was one or the other ,i could deal... maybe.

Fact that still they're not in all the trucks because its just too much $$$ ??