1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Stolen loader

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by seville009, Jan 29, 2016.

1. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

Just a news report of a stolen loader in CNY. I'd think that owners would use battery disconnects or something like that to help slow the crooks down. I wouldn't be suspicious seeing someone driving a loader away because I would just assume it's the owner or someone who's supposed to be using it.

http://www.syracuse.com/crime/index.ssf/2016/01/syracuse_police_seek_stolen_loader.html#incart_river_mobile_home

2. johnhenry1933

johnhenry1933 Senior Member

Bummage. I have an 8 camera night vision motion activated setup, and was pondering GPS in addition.

Doesn't necessarily prevent the theft, but increases the likelihood of return and prosecution exponentially.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
  3. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

I hate thieves

4. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

Actually that gps idea is a good one. Easy to hide it somewhere in the equipment and a thief wouldn't know to look for it.

5. Hysert

Hysert PlowSite.com Addict

I hear ya about the cameras, unfortunately most are pour quality and you can't make out details.. they will just piss u off more.. I have them around my house and shop and basically use them more to watch employees coming and going!! A GPS devise is the best and always have a disconnect somewhere

6. rjigto4oje

rjigto4oje PlowSite.com Addict

7. Hysert

I was just looking at those too.. they seem vary straight forward..

8. rjigto4oje

A sim card still needs to be installed. How do you get around the monthly fee if it has to be on your cell phone plan. Im sure someone will chim in. I also like all of the features of it too

9. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

It's possible that an insurance carrier will give some sort on discount fir anti theft devices like a gps device, just like you get discounts on personal car insurance. May be worth it to ask your agent, as they might rather cover,say, $200 in sim card costs rather than coughing up $50,000 for a missing loader.

10. rjigto4oje

Yeah didn't think to ask good idea thanks

11. rjigto4oje

Im looking into a prepaid sim card more info to come

12. Hysert

That's a good idea.. I only need it for 5 months then our machines are home..

13. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Makes me re-think not having lojak installed on my machines,600$ is not really all that much I guess in the long run.

14. Hysert

Check out the "landairsea key2"

15. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

I agree, it gives me peace of mind... installed it a few years ago on everything... I think it was even cheaper than that back then

16. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

My FIL was a mechanic. To start any of his cars you had to push in the cigarette lighter. When he went on holidays he took the lighters out of the car. I'm sure a simple switch on some part of the fuel supply would slow a lot of these guys down.

17. rjigto4oje

I'd have a sign on the cigarette lighter saying push to start. Of course I'd boobie trap it with a little shock therapy and a way to lock the pos it it also

18. IPLOWSNO

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

Whose loader was it? The link won't open?

19. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict